Sport and Recreation Strategic Action Plan
The Sport and Recreation Strategic Action Plan (PDF 5.4MB) is a sector-wide plan for Auckland's sport and recreation sector.
The focus of the plan is to get Aucklanders more active, more often, which will be implemented over the next 10 years.
SARSAP helps to deliver on the key objectives of the Auckland Plan to promote individual and community wellbeing through participation and excellence in sport and recreation.
The plan lays out the common vision for improving recreation and sport across Auckland, the actions to be taken to get there and the role the council and other organisations will play.
The four priority areas are:
- participation – more Aucklanders living physically active lives through participation
- infrastructure – developing access to open spaces and harbours, coastlines and waterways and a fit for purpose network of facilities enabling physical activity, recreation and sport
- excellence in recreation and sport – will help build pride in the region's recreation and sporting achievements, talent nurtured and excellence celebrated
- sector development – having sector that is strong and capable to deliver quality sport and recreation experiences in a sustainable way.
The independent advisory panel OneVoice: Recreation and Sport will sponsor the implementation of SARSAP and monitor its progress on behalf of the sport and recreation sector. Joint leadership groups will be formed to oversee the delivery of the plan. Implementation of SARSAP initiatives will be undertaken by the sport and recreation sector, including:
- Sport New Zealand
- national and regional recreation and sport organisations
- local regional sports trusts
- Auckland Sport
- iwi and Māori organisations
- Auckland Council
- tertiary institutes and schools
- local groups and clubs
- government agencies and ministries.
The implementation structure for the sport and recreation strategic action plan.