Skip to main content
Auckland Council

Install solid fuel heating

Whakauruhia he ahi tahu wahie

What you need to do when you install solid fuel heating

If you want to install, replace or relocate any appliance that contains fire (new or second-hand), you will need a building consent.

If you don't have a building consent, you may have problems with your insurance in case of fire.

You do not need resource consent to install solid fuel heating.

If you are installing a wood burner or indoor fire, the appliance must comply with both:

The manufacturer of the solid fuel heating appliance can advise you which appliances comply with these regulations and standards.

Our tip

If you are just maintaining your current appliance, including replacing the firebricks or the flue, you do not need a building consent.

Approved solid fuel heating appliances

All solid fuel heating appliances must be tested and show compliance with the NES emission and efficiency standards.

It is illegal to use any wood burner that was installed after 1 September 2005 (on a site less than 2ha) that does not comply with this standard.

A list of approved appliances is available on the Ministry for Environment website.

Installing a solid fuel heating appliance

If the installation is not done by a council-approved producer statement author, you will need to book a solid fuel appliance inspection to show that the work complies with the consent documentation.

If you are using a producer statement author to install your solid fuel heating, in addition to applying for a building consent, you will also need to:

  • complete an agreement to provide a producer statement, and
  • submit the producer statement to us after the installation is complete.

​Installing an outdoor fireplace

You can install an outdoor fireplace without a building consent, although you may still need a resource consent.

Installing a wetback will always need a building consent

If you are installing a wetback you will need to:

  • apply for a building consent
  • show the details of the installation and pipework on your plans.

You will need to book a solid fuel appliance inspection to check the installation complies with the consent documentation.

Although we inspect the installation, you need to make sure it is carried out by:

  • a certifying plumber, or
  • a registered or licensed plumber under the supervision of a certifying plumber.

Solid fuel heating consent fee

Read fee table.
Service Fee
Subsidised fee per solid fuel heating appliance installed by an approved installer offering a producer statement$201
Solid fuel heating appliance installed by a person who is not an approved installer (includes one inspection fee)$201 fixed application fee and $162 inspection
Wetback (includes one inspection fee)$201 fixed application fee and $162 inspection

The installer must be listed on our producer statement authors register.

How to apply for a consent to install solid fuel heating 

An approved installers can apply for the building consent on your behalf. You will need to give the approved installer written authority to act on your behalf.


Upload the completed AC1016 Lodgement checklist: Solid fuel heating appliance with your online application.

You will need to login to complete the online application and pay by Visa, MasterCard or Account2Account (bank transfer).​

​Apply for solid fuel heating

 By post

​Send your completed application form, supporting documents and cheque payment to:

Auckland Council
Private Bag 92300
Auckland 1142

 In person

Bring your completed application form and supporting documents to a service centre, and pay by:

  • cash
  • cheque
  • Eftpos
  • MasterCard or Visa (A convenience fee of 1.75 per cent of your payment amount applies).

What happens next

We process the solid fuel heating applications within 20 working days.

We will let you know the decision by email and post.