Skip to main content

He Oha whakawhanake

Development contributions

Development contributions help recover the costs of infrastructure we provide to support growth in Auckland.

​Estimate your development contributions

We can provide an estimate of the fees at the planning stage of your development. You will need to tell us what is currently on the allotment, and what you are planning to do.

Residential development projects

For residential developments, you need to tell us:

  • the number of units and the size in square meters, for a standalone house or minor unit
  • the number of units (low rise) and the size in square meters, for townhouses and duplexes
  • the number of units (medium to high rise) and the size in square meters, for apartments
  • the number of rooms, for a rest home or hospital care institution
  • the number of accommodation units, for a hotel or motel
  • the area of the development which is not capable of absorbing rainwater.

Non-residential development projects

For projects like retail and hospitality services, and commercial office spaces, you would need to tell us:

  • the total floor area measured from the exterior walls
  • the area of the site which is not capable of absorbing rainwater.

Use the estimator tool

Estimate your contributions

The fees are based on the number of residential dwellings (equivalent household units — EHUs) involved in your project. The How we set Development Contributions charges document (PDF 7.1MB) explains how we calculate these in more detail.

Our tip

There are no charges for water supply and wastewater infrastructure under this policy. The cost of this infrastructure is charged directly by Veolia Water (Papakura) or Watercare Services Limited (rest of Auckland).

Why we charge development contribution fees

Auckland is growing at a rapid pace, and the population is expected to reach two million over the next decade.

To accommodate this growth, the Auckland Plan provides a vision for development around the region. This will mean more development in Auckland's existing urban areas, as well as growth in new urban areas.

Development contributions are a fee we charge for new developments to contribute to the costs of building the infrastructure that supports them.

We charge these fees if the new development requires us to provide new or upgraded infrastructure for:

  • transport, footpaths, roads and intersections
  • parks, park facilities and sports grounds
  • drainage systems and stormwater mitigation
  • community facilities.

Types of developments for which we charge development contributions

Developments that need a subdivision consent, land use consent, or building consent will be assessed for development contributions.

This includes:

  • new subdivisions
  • new house builds
  • student accommodation
  • granny flats
  • new retail space
  • new office space
  • commercial premises
  • new apartments in old buildings.

We don't charge development contributions for house extensions.

How we set charges based on development type

Different types of development pay different development contributions.

The level of demand for us to invest in infrastructure determines the price we set. For example, a shopping centre will cause more traffic movement than a single house. This means the transport development contributions will be higher.

Non-residential developments do not need investment in parks and community facilities. These are only charged to residential developments, such as new subdivisions or new house builds.

The Development Contributions Policy

The Development Contributions Policy provides:

  • a record of how infrastructure for growth is to be funded
  • transparency of what is to be funded and what has been delivered
  • information about how much we charge for development contributions.

To read more about the policy, see the Development Contributions Policy page.

More information

For more information, email

You can also call one of our area offices:

​Northern​09 486 8413
​Central​09 261 8594
​Western​09 890 7838
​Southern (Manukau)​09 262 5457
​Southern (Papakura and Pukekohe)​09 977 5927


 Related topics



Engineering approvals approvalsFind out about different types of engineering approvals, why you might need them and how to apply for one. aspxEngineering
Development Contributions Policy Contributions PolicyThe Development Contributions Policy sets contribution charges.aspx
Stormwater risks, requirements and responsibilities risks, requirements and responsibilities​Find out about what risks and responsibilities developers have relating to stormwater.aspxBuilding and consents
Resource consent fees and deposits (plus notices of requirement and private plan change requests) consent fees and deposits (plus notices of requirement and private plan change requests)Find out how much it will cost to apply for a resource consent application.aspxResource consents
Auckland Design Manual Design ManualThe Auckland Design Manual provides objective criteria and context for making your design decisions.aspxBuilding and consents
The Auckland Plan Auckland PlanThe Auckland Plan 2050 will guide Auckland’s future over the next 30 years.aspxPlans