Skip to main content
Auckland CouncilVote Auckland

Me pēhea te rēhita ki te tuku pōti

How to enrol to vote

Get ready to vote in the 2022 Auckland Council elections. Find out what you need to do to enrol so you can vote to have your say.

​Who can vote

To be eligible to vote you must:

  • be 18 years old or older
  • currently live in New Zealand
  • be a New Zealand permanent resident, or citizen
  • hold an open-ended resident visa (a resident visa with no end date)
  • have been living in New Zealand continuously for 12 months or more.

How to enrol to vote

You should know

If you haven't enrolled to vote or updated your address before 12 August 2022 you will not receive your voting documents in the post.  You can still enrol to vote but you will need to cast a special vote. See Where and how to cast a special vote.

 Enrol to vote now 

To enrol you must verify your identity and will need one of the following documents:

  • New Zealand driver licence.
  • New Zealand passport.
  • Your RealMe verified identity.

If you are not able to enrol online, there are other ways to enrol or to update your details. Go to other ways to enrol for more information.

Watch a video on how to enrol to vote


Read a full transcript of this video.

Watch this video in New Zealand Sign Language

Resident ratepayer electoral roll

You are automatically enrolled to vote in the 2022 local body elections if you're an Auckland resident and are already on the parliamentary electoral roll for the general election.

If you have changed address

When you move house be sure to inform the Electoral Commission.

When voting papers are returned as undelivered to the Electoral Commission, they have no option but to remove you from the electoral roll if you haven't updated your address.

You can check and update your details at or by calling 0800 36 76 56.

Non-resident ratepayer electoral roll or ratepayer elector

If you pay rates on a property in a different area to where you live, you may be eligible to enrol on the non-resident ratepayer electoral roll.

A company or society that pays property rates can also qualify as a ratepayer elector.

To enquire in either of these instances call the Electoral Office on 0800 922 822.

Contact the Electoral Commission

Contact the Electoral Commission if you:

  • have any queries about enrolling
  • need to update your details
  • want to check your electorate/ ward / local board area
  • have changed home address.

Visit the Electoral Commission website or phone 0800 36 76 56.

 Related topics



Assisted participation participationHelp is available for people who would like assistance filling in their nomination forms or completing their voting papers.aspxElections
Auckland Council and you Council and youThis is a programme for students and community groups to learn about Auckland Council, how we're structured, how we make decisions, how we work alongside Maori, how to participate in the democratic process, and more. aspxElections
Key dates for the 2022 local election dates for the 2022 local electionView the key dates for Local elections 2022.aspx
How to vote in the local elections to vote in the local electionsFind out how to receive your voting document in the post, what to do if you haven't received your voting document and what to do if you live overseas.aspxElections
Why you should vote in the local elections you should vote in the local electionsRead some quick facts about the local elections, learn how elected members make decisions that affect many aspects of your life and your local community and why your vote is important.aspx