Each year we plan the projects and initiatives we will deliver in your local board area. These are based on our 2017 Local Board Plan, which sets our three-year direction.
We are seeking your input on our proposals for the 2018/2019 financial year.
Message from the chair
Our 2018/2019 local board agreement will set out what we propose to deliver in your local area this financial year. This is the first financial year of our local board plan 2017 and the council's 10-year Budget 2018-2028.
Summer heralds the season for many of our most popular events and activities and we are seeking your feedback on the way we support local events and groups through our contestable grants programme. We like to see clear alignment to our local board plan outcomes and have high quality activities and events.
We are keen to begin town centre improvements as well as commence implementation of the development plan for the reserves at Mairangi Bay to enable steady, incremental change.
We want to make our public spaces attractive and inviting for both local residents and visitors to our area. We want our local towns and centres to enjoy economic success and provide local employment opportunities.
Transport improvements are an ongoing priority and we are keen to work with Auckland Transport to trial weekend ferry services from Gulf Harbour.
We will also continue our efforts to achieve an earlier start to Penlink and the planned upgrade of the Glenvar Road/East Coast Road intersection to address safety issues.
Our key advocacy priority is to protect our iconic Ōrewa Beach from storm damage and erosion so that future generations can enjoy its beautiful shoreline, beach and reserve areas.
Please take the time to come along and give us your feedback on our priorities at one of our local events:
- Saturday 10 March, 10am-2pm at Coast Plaza, 719 Whangaparoa, Whangaparoa
- Saturday 24 March, 10am-12pm at East Coast Bays Library.
What we propose in your local board area in 2018/2019
In 2018/2019 we plan to invest $10.0 million to renew and develop assets and $17.3 million to maintain and operate these assets in your local board area as well as provide other local initiatives you've told us are important including:
- reviewing the way we assess and allocate local contestable community grants for events and activities
- start implementing the Mairangi Bay Reserves Development Plan projects including closing the beachfront section of Montrose Terrace and providing a connecting road with angle parking at the back of the reserve to provide more open space
- working with Auckland Transport to trial a weekend ferry service at Gulf Harbour
- working with business and partners to provide local employment opportunities in Silverdale.
Our key advocacy project
Ōrewa Beach is one of our most treasured and visited beaches. The beach is 2.6 kilometres long and has a variety of challenging erosion issues making it Auckland's highest priority at risk coastal area.
The Ōrewa Beach Esplanade Enhancement Project (OBEEP) was developed to schedule and prioritise coastal protection work including protecting the remaining reserves.
We will advocate to the Governing Body for funding to be included in the 10-year Budget to complete this work.
The local board is seeking capital funding of $18m to be allocated to coastal protection. Orewa beach, reserve areas and walkways are at significant threat of being lost to sea erosion forces.
There are a number of key projects along the length of Orewa Beach which seek to protect, enhance and promote access and the use of the beach.
What do you think?
- Have we got our priorities right?
- Do you support:
- Reviewing the way we assess and allocate local contestable grants for events and activities within our local board area
- Implementation of the Mairangi Bay Reserves Development Plan projects including closing the beachfront section of Montrose Terrace and providing a connecting road with angle parking at the back of the reserve to provide more open space?
- Allocation of funding for promotional information to encourage community and visitor use of the Gulf Harbour weekend ferry trial?
- Working with partners to facilitate local employment opportunities in Silverdale?
- Our key advocacy project to address coastal erosion and protect Ōrewa Beach Esplanade and reserves?