Each year we plan the projects and initiatives we will deliver in your local board area. These are based on our 2017 Local Board Plan, which sets our three-year direction.
We are seeking your input on our proposals for the 2018/2019 financial year.
Message from the chair
We are looking forward to working together with you on delivering the first year of our 2017 local board plan. We will continue to deliver projects you have identified as being important as well as seeking your feedback on some new and exciting opportunities.
There is widespread community support to upgrade the fields and facilities at War Memorial Park. We have presented a business case for these improvements to this historic park to the Governing Body for consideration as part of the 10-year Budget.
We would like to support users and volunteers in implementing the Tōtara Park masterplan over the next three years, to improve the park. We will also continue to work alongside the Manurewa Youth Council to help them realise their aspirations for creating a multi-purpose, creative youth-friendly space in the town centre.
You have told us that continued revitalisation of Manurewa town centre remains a priority for you and we agree. In addition, your feedback has led us to increase our focus on working alongside residents and local business owners to help build pride in our community of Clendon.
Many of you have shared your concerns about the increased levels of illegal dumping. We will advocate to the Governing Body for an improvement to the current service delivery.
We welcome your involvement as we finalise our community's funding priorities for 2018/2019 so please have your say.
What we propose in your local board area in 2018/2019
In 2018/2019 we plan to invest $5.46 million to renew assets and $16.18 million to maintain and operate these assets in your local board area as well as prioritise other local initiatives you have told us are important.
Our key priorities include:
- implementing the Tōtara Park masterplan to enhance the park's character as a countryside destination that accommodates various outdoor uses. Our focus for the first year will be on bringing the park up to standard with improvements to the Tōtara Park base course, boardwalk, carpark, fences, gates, paths, retaining walls, rubbish bins, seats, signs, step and toilet renewals
- improving our retail centres:
- progressing work to create a vibrant Manurewa Town Centre precinct for travelling, working, socialising and living, with a focus on the streetscape, improving pavements and introducing more flora
- partnering with Clendon residents and local businesses to support community events, build pride and improve public safety
- helping to develop a multi-purpose, creative youth friendly space in the Manurewa Town Centre that supports and nurtures youth development networks. The Manurewa Youth Council has established a space in the town centre, and has a vision for how this space will be used. We would like to provide funding to support this vision
- advocating to the governing body to improve the response to, and monitoring of, illegal dumping so our public and community spaces are clean, attractive and welcoming.
Our key advocacy project
Manurewa War Memorial Park is a well-loved and utilised park but it needs an upgrade.
You have given us strong feedback that you support a focus on developing this park as a multi-purpose shared space with improved utilisation of its playing fields and greater access to the park's community facilities.
We will be advocating to the Governing Body to include funding in the 10-year Budget for making these improvements by 2021.
There are several components to the project including conducting a needs assessment, generation of a park masterplan, sand carpeting the playing area, adding more playing field lighting and building a multi-purpose community facility.
The indicative cost of this upgrade would be around $12 million.
What do you think?
Have we got our priorities right? We welcome your feedback:
- Do you support us bringing Tōtara Park up to standard as our focus for the first year of implementation of the masterplan to enhance the park's character?
- Do you support our aspirations for Manurewa and Clendon retail centres?
- We would like to support the Manurewa Youth Council to develop a multi-purpose, creative youth friendly space in the Manurewa Town Centre that supports and nurtures youth development networks. Do you agree?
- Do you support our advocacy focus to improve services around illegal dumping?
Our key advocacy project:
- Do you support our plans for Manurewa War Memorial Park to upgrade the playing fields and community facilities?