We are considering a number of options to manage the future of vehicles driving on Muriwai Beach.
This is in response to safety concerns raised during consultation for the Regional Parks Management Plan review about:
- beach user safety and enjoyment
- environmental protection
- fire risk
- driver behaviour.
Current vehicle access to Muriwai Beach
At the moment vehicles can access the beach at three separate points:
- Coast Road via Muriwai Regional Park, approximately 2km up the beach
- Rimmer Road via an easement managed by Hancock Forestry and the Department of Conservation, approximately 15km up the beach
- Wilson Road via a paper road controlled by Auckland Transport, approximately 30km up the beach.
What we want your feedback on
We'd like to know how you feel about vehicles driving on Muriwai Beach.
We'd also like to know which of these options you prefer:
- seasonal closures restricting vehicle access to the beach at peak times, such as Christmas/New Years, Christmas to after Auckland Anniversary weekend, Guy Fawkes and other times where required to reduce fire risk
- controlled access - which may include gated access points to control vehicle access to the beach. Access would be restricted to authorised paid permit holders, surf lifesaving and other emergency service vehicles
- permanent closure of all public vehicle access points to Muriwai Beach (with the exception of surf lifesaving and other emergency services vehicles).
When you can have your say
You can have your say from 9 April to 7 May 2021.
What happens next
We will present your feedback to the Parks, Arts, Community and Events Committee who will decide on the next steps.