This consultation closed for feedback on 9 September 2018.
The draft plan received 258 submissions, the majority of which (234) were made using the online or printed survey form.
A public hearing is scheduled featuring those who have made a submission and indicated they wish to speak with the Henderson-Massey Local Board.
The hearing is scheduled for Tuesday 4 December in the Council Chamber, Level 2, Henderson Civic Centre, 6 Henderson Valley Road at 10am.
We have recommended a number of amendments to the masterplan based on feedback. These amendments will be summarised in a report to the local board that will be publicly available before the hearing. The report will also include public feedback.
Key themes from feedback
The public feedback contained several key themes:
- Strong support for measures to enhance and improve ecological outcomes on the park.
- Good to strong support for measures aimed at engaging and educating the public on park values, such as providing interpretive information on park values and providing access to wetland areas.
- Varying levels of support for measures associated with people enjoying the park, including strong support for additional park furniture, good support for specimen trees, support for a play trail, and mixed views on a playground.
- Good support to improve pedestrian/cycle connections into the park and around the upper terrace.
- Support for the open, natural qualities of the park and keeping development levels low.
- Low prioritisation for making changes to the heritage features, such as access into the gun emplacements or to the brickworks, and creating bird watching shelters.
- Concerns about the impacts of improvements on birds and wildlife.
Community group feedback
In addition to members of the community, we received feedback from a number of community groups:
- Bike Te Atatu
- Birds New Zealand
- Community Waitakere
- Department of Conservation
- Forest and Bird Motu Manawa Restoration Group
- Friends of Harbourview.