This consultation finished on 12 August 2019.
Thank you for having your say on a plan to improve Waiatarua Reserve in Remuera. We had 205 submissions from the public.
After analysing feedback, we found most people use the reserve for walking, dog-walking and enjoying nature.
Key themes from feedback
- Do not compromise the natural features of the reserve.
- Land-based pest control.
- Improve water quality.
- 63 per cent supported a dog agility course.
- 57 per cent supported moving the bins to the entry and exit points on the reserve.
- 58 per cent supported an extra toilet.
- 59 per cent supported another pathway to the café at Remuera Golf Course.
- 47 per cent were in favour of allowing community groups to use a small shed near Abbotts Way car park.
Changes as a result of feedback
- The frisbee golf course, dog agility course and nature trail need to blend into the natural landscape and character of the park.
- The position of these recreational features will be away from the main border path.
- Move bins to the entry and exit of the reserve and add another pathway to the café at the Remuera Golf Course.
- Add a new toilet by extending current amenities or place a new toilet in the proposed environmental centre.
- Identify two all-weather circuits: the full perimeter path and a shorter circuit.
- Remove proposed northern playground and interweave 'nature play' on the trail.
- Redesign the playground layout to make full use of the existing fenced area for people who prefer not to interact with dogs.
Orakei Local Board deferred the decision to adopt the Waiatarua Reserve Enhancement Plan so they can make decisions about sediment removal and explore the option of an extra on-leash dog area.