The Auckland Waste Management and Minimisation Plan has been reviewed and we propose to continue working towards our vision of Zero Waste to landfill by 2040.
We will continue to deliver a range of services to households, and to work with mana whenua, communities, and industry to achieve waste reductions.
What we need your feedback on
The draft plan proposes to:
- Work with the commercial sector to find ways to reduce and divert waste from landfill.
- Prioritise the three largest waste items - construction and demolition, plastic and organic waste.
- Continue to establish community recycling centres.
- Ask central government to introduce container deposit scheme for plastic/glass bottles and cans and product stewardship schemes for hard to dispose products like tyres and e-waste.
- Address the needs of the Hauraki Gulf islands through the Tikapa Moana Hauraki Gulf Islands Draft Waste Plan.
When you can have your say
The plan will be open for your feedback from 28 February 2018 to 8pm, 28 March 2018.
What happens next
We will evaluate public feedback including technical information, and present the final plan to the council for approval in mid 2018.