Caring for your community in a very practical way is very rewarding. Helping your neighbours when they really need a hand makes the commitment well worthwhile.
What rural fire force volunteers do
Rural fire force volunteers are the first line of defence for their community for:
building and bush fires
- vehicle accidents
- emergency medical calls
- hazardous spills.
Rural fire force volunteers also take on roles other than firefighting, such as:
- community awareness programs
- providing critical support to other emergency services.
We also send volunteer fire fighters to parts of Australia to help fight wildfires.
The volunteer rural fire force offers you the chance to:
- give something back to your community
- meet new people
- gain skills and qualifications.
Basic requirements and fitness for fire fighters
To be an Auckland rural fire volunteer, you must be:
- in good health and fitness
- at least 16 years old
- live within an eight-minute drive of your local fire station
- able to attend regular training sessions and some specialist training sessions
- keen to work in a dedicated team.
All rural fire stations have weekly training sessions (except public and school holidays).
We need to make sure that a person’s fitness is matched to the task that they are doing so that they stay safe and healthy.
How fit do I need to be?
|For hard work that applies mainly to operational functions. ||Walk 4.8km in 45 minutes carrying 20.5kg.|
|For active fire management personnel often in stressful roles and working extended hours. ||Walk 3.2km in 30 minutes carrying 11.3kg.|
|Non-fire ground positions that may involve working extended hours.||Walk 1.61km carrying no load over 16 minutes.|
Fire stations across Auckland
We have 13 rural fire stations staffed by volunteer crews.
- Orere Point, Orere Point Road, Orere Point
- Hunua, Lockwood Road, Hunua
- Awhitu, Awhitu Road, Matakawau
- Karekare, Lone Kauri Road, Karekare
- Bethells Valley, Bethells Road, Bethells Valley
- Shelly Beach, James McLeod Road, Shelly Beach
- Ahuroa, West Coast Road, Ahuroa
- Puhoi, Ahuroa Road, Puhoi
- Kaukapakapa, Kaipara Coast Highway, Kaukapakapa
- Kawau, Kawau Island
- Tryphena, Rosalie, Great Barrier
- Kaitoke, Hector Sanderson, Great Barrier
- Okupu, Blind Bay Road, Great Barrier.