Skip to main content

Tohu whaimana tūturu

Lawfully established signs

​If your business signs (except portable signs) were lawfully complying with the previous bylaws, district plan or we have issued a permit, exemption or resource consent (where the signage was part of an overall development) the sign may remain in place so long as:

  • the size and location of the signage does not change
  • the signage does not change, so it no longer complies with the relevant approval
  • the signage complies with the key requirements in the bylaw concerning safety, illumination and content (see clauses 7-13 of the bylaw).

If you are not sure the signage you currently have complies with the new regulations, contact us on 09 301 0101.

 Related topics



Promotions and displays and displaysIf you want to hand out promotional goods you will need a licence. Meet with us before you apply and view the guidelines for displaying goods on the footpath.aspxDistributing promotional goods licence
Mobile traders tradersFind out where you can trade, work out the costs of a mobile trading licence, apply for or transfer a mobile trading licence, or complain about a mobile trader or market.aspxMobile trading licence Trading in parks Street trading and performance
Complain about a billboard or sign about a billboard or signReport complaints and safety issues with billboards and signs to us.aspxSigns
Put up a billboard up a billboardIn most situations you will need a resource consent and a building consent to put up a billboard. aspxSigns