The mayor's responsibilities
Ngā kawenga a te koromatua
Auckland has a mayor, elected by residents from across the region.
What the mayor does
The mayor leads our governing body.
The mayor’s responsibilities include:
- promoting a vision for Auckland
- providing leadership to achieve the vision
- leading the development of council plans, policies and budgets
- ensuring effective engagement between Auckland Council and Aucklanders.
The mayor also appoints the deputy mayor, establishes the committees of the governing body and appoints the committee chairs.
The mayor's office
Our legislation empowers the mayor to employ staff for the purpose of meeting these extended responsibilities.
The mayor's office:
- includes planning, policy and consultation roles
- deals with day-to-day communication and correspondence
- manages the mayor’s diary and media relations.