What is the Aotea Quarter?
The Aotea Quarter comprises:
- Aotea Square
- the surrounding cluster of arts, cultural and civic facilities and,
- a number of inner city mixed-use neighbourhoods beyond Mayoral Drive.
The Aotea Framework seeks to update and advance the strategic direction for the area set down in the Aotea Quarter Plan and more recently the City Centre Masterplan (CCMP) 2012.
Four desired outcomes
The framework identifies four outcomes to deliver the vision.
- Outcome 1: a civic and cultural heart
- Outcome 2: transport-enabled development
- Outcome 3: supporting neighbourhoods
- Outcome 4: sustainable and cultural showcase.
The framework area extends beyond the Aotea Square core to include a good portion of the Learning Quarter to the east, most of Myers Park to the south, along the Hobson Street ridgeline to the west and mid-block between Wellesley and Victoria Street to the north.
Get the framework by chapter