Importance of urban design
Over 80 per cent of global gross domestic product is generated in cities, and more than 50 per cent of the world's population now lives in urban areas.
Urban design is essential for shaping the human habitat and delivering cities that are liveable, competitive, sustainable and loved.
Successful cities like Melbourne, London and New York recognise that a strong urban core is inherent for the prosperity and well-being of the entire city-region.
The infrastructure, amenities and activities that occur in Auckland's city centre are experienced by, and benefit, more Auckland residents than any other part of the city.
The CCMP's vision
The CCMP presents a 20-year vision that sets the direction for Auckland's city centre as its cultural, civic, retail and economic heart.
The CCMP presents a vision of a city centre that is:
- more family-friendly
- more pedestrian-friendly
- more environmentally-friendly.
The city centre will be a place we are all proud of, feel excited about visiting and where we can do business and be entertained.
This vision is made up of many projects, centred on eight transformational moves.
Transformation of the city centre
This transformation is already underway and taking place at a much faster rate than expected.
- Auckland city centre makes up only 0.08 per cent of the city's total area, but now generates 20 per cent of its gross domestic product.
- Almost 50,000 people now call Auckland city centre home – this figure is 15 years ahead of predictions.
- Laneways and shared spaces have recreated existing streets to favour people, not cars, and have brought new life to the city.
- Pedestrian numbers in Queen Street have doubled since 2012.
- Our waterfront has been revitalised.
- Public transport investment has revolutionised how people access the city centre, with bus and rail trips outnumbering car journeys for the first time in decades.
- The completion of City Rail Link in 2023 will double the number of people able to reach the city centre by rail in under 30 minutes. It will also make Auckland's regions more accessible from the city centre and between one another.
With more than $14 billion being invested over the next decade, the city centre is blossoming.
The CCMP provides a clear vision for the coming decades and one we, with our partners, are proud to deliver.
Get a copy of the CCMP
We hope that you enjoy reading it and would love your feedback.
Full colour print version