The Waterfront Plan
Te Mahere mō te Taha Moana
The Waterfront Plan sets out the vision and goals for Auckland's city centre waterfront. The plan contains short, medium and long-term initiatives to transform this part of the city.
Projects within the Waterfront Plan
Projects within the plan are:
- a new city waterfront neighbourhood at Wynyard Quarter, alive with residents, workers, businesses, visitors and activities
- a 10km promenade and cycleway along the edge of the waterfront, from the Harbour Bridge to TEAL Park
- an innovation precinct, Grid AKL, to attract global ITC (Information Technology and Communication), marine and other technology-focused organisations to do business here
- new apartments, offices and hotel buildings transforming Wynyard Central
- a linear park with play spaces along Daldy Street linking Victoria Park to a future park on Wynyard Point
- maintaining a working waterfront with marine, fishing and other activities on the water and protecting our maritime history
- a 4.5ha waterfront park on Wynyard Point
- enhanced walking, cycling and public transport access between Wynyard Quarter and the city.
Panuku Development Auckland
Panuku Development Auckland is the council organisation charged with developing the waterfront and other parts of Auckland.
Waterfront Plan refresh
Parts of the plan are being refreshed.
The work is focused on Wynyard Point, as the next phase of development will be enabled once the tank farm leases expire in 2022-2025.
A refresh of planning for the central wharves area aims to respond to the significant growth in the number and size of cruise ships visiting Auckland, as well as the need to accommodate growth in ferry services and meet demands for public access to the water's edge.
Get a copy of The Waterfront Plan
You can download a copy of the Waterfront Plan on the Wynyard Quarter page of the Panuku Development Auckland website under "Downloads & Resources".