What the LAPP does
We aim to grow Auckland into the world’s most liveable city by promoting a safe and healthy Auckland. The LAPP contributes to this by reducing:
- the availability of psychoactive substances
- the risk of harm that vulnerable people might experience from legal psychoactive substances.
Psychoactive Substances Act
In 2013, the government introduced the Psychoactive Substances Act.
The act sets a framework for the manufacture and sale of licensed substances. New Zealand became the first country in the world to do so.
The act gives local authorities the power to develop a LAPP to decide where these substances can be sold.
The Psychoactive Substances Regulatory Authority is the government body responsible for the issue of licenses for retail outlets.
Decisions to grant licenses will be based on our LAPP together with other criteria detailed in part 2 of the act.
Auckland city centre
For the city centre, we propose not to grant licences to retail legal psychoactive substances:
- in areas of residential deprivation
- within 200m of an existing psychoactive substances retail licence.
For all areas of Auckland, apart from the city centre, we will not grant licences to retail legal psychoactive substances:
- in areas of high deprivation
- in neighbourhood centres
- within 500m of a school teaching students years seven and above
- within 200m of a school teaching students between years one and six inclusive
- within 500m of a mental health or addiction treatment centre
- within 500m of an existing psychoactive substances retail licence
- within 100m of a marae.
Auckland general restricted areas
For all areas of Auckland, apart from the city centre, we will not grant licences to retail legal psychoactive substances in the following special restricted areas:
- Hunters Corner commercial area – Papatoetoe
- Manurewa commercial Area – Manurewa
- Mt Wellington Highway / Waipuna Road commercial area – Mt Wellington
- Papakura Caravan Park commercial area - Papakura
- Don Buck Road / Triangle Road commercial area - Massey
- Manukau Station Road commercial area – Manukau
- Te Hana commercial area – Rodney.
Get a copy of the LAPP