Toward a smokefree nation
A smokefree city is part of the
Auckland Plan. It aligns with the government's goal of becoming a smokefree nation by 2025.
Our Smokefree Policy 2017-2025 identifies:
- areas where we have responsibility
- the best way to make Auckland a smokefree city by 2025.
How the policy will succeed
While the policy aims to improve the health and well-being of Auckland’s communities by reducing the prevalence of smoking and de-normalising smoking behaviour, it does not propose to ban smoking.
The policy has been promoted through education and awareness, and uses signage and other forms of communication.
The success of the policy relies on social pressure to comply.
The Smokefree Policy 2017-2025 Implementation Plan
The plan identifies specific activities we will be doing to create a smokefree city in four broad areas of responsibility:
- around our assets and facilities
- making our public places smokefree
- having smokefree events in the city
- informing the public of the smokefree goal.
The plan lists out the areas that will become smokefree.
Get a copy of the Smokefree Policy 2017-2025 Implementation plan