About the project
The 36th America's Cup will take place in Auckland in 2021, bringing people from all over the world.
To host the cup, and showcase Auckland as a world-class city, we will create a base that will provide platforms for up to seven syndicate bases and as many as 80 yacht moorings.
However, we want to create an attractive destination for Aucklanders that lasts well beyond a single sporting event.
To prepare for the America's Cup, we will:
- construct platforms for around five team bases on Wynyard Point
- extend Hobson Wharf for the challenger of record base
- dredge the harbour to make it deep enough for the boats
- construct breakwaters around the area
- infill bridges from Wynyard Wharf to the bases
- make repairs to Wynyard Wharf
- create 80 new yacht berths.
This project is currently under construction. It is due to be completed in 2020.
For more information on the project call 0800 WYNYARD (996 9273).
To see how this project may affect you, see the Construction underway - helpful information page.