Why we are upgrading the stormwater network
We are upgrading the stormwater network around the Tawaipareira Reserve and Waiheke Refuse Transfer station to prevent overflow and flooding to properties on Tahi and Ostend roads.
- creating a new channel from the reserve along the eastern boundary of the transfer station
- constructing a new outfall structure underneath Ostend Road.
Work starts in July 2019 and is due to be completed by May 2020.
No stormwater work will take place at the transfer station during the busy summer period from 1 December to 31 March.
Construction hours will be from 7.30am to 6pm, Monday to Saturday.
Some work outside these hours may be necessary, but we will notify affected residents in advance if this is required.
Impact of project works on traffic and transfer station
Waiheke Refuse Transfer Station:
- Some locations for dropping off waste materials will change – for details see Waiheke Refuse Transfer Station.
- Longer queues and delays inside the transfer station may occur as a result of traffic congestion on Ostend Road.
Ostend Road traffic:
- Temporary shoulder closures, lane closures and speed restrictions will be in place on Ostend Road outside the transfer station and Tahi Road intersection, which may create congestion.
- There may be delays approaching, entering, and leaving the transfer station.
- A traffic management plan is in place but road users should allow extra time for possible delays.
All affected areas will be reinstated to normal when the project is completed.