What this policy aims to achieve
The aim of the policy is to:
- encourage the non-business community to provide ongoing services that meet the needs of Franklin residents
- encourage and support non-business recreational opportunities for Franklin residents
- assist the survival of sporting, recreation and other community organisations
- make membership of sporting, recreational and community organisations more accessible to the general public, particularly disadvantaged groups such as children, youth, young families, elderly, and economically disadvantaged people.
Eligibility and criteria
The policy applies to land owned by us or owned and occupied by a charitable organisation.
The land is used exclusively or primarily for sporting, recreation, or community purposes.
The policy does not apply to:
- organisations that operate for private profit or charge commercial tuition fees
- groups or organisations whose primary purpose is to address the needs of adult members (over 18 years) for entertainment or social interaction, or who engage in recreational, sporting or community services as a secondary purpose only.
- We will determine the extent of any rates remission (reduction) to any eligible organisation.
- A maximum of 50 per cent remission will apply to organisations that hold a liquor licence.
- We will not grant a rates remission for waste management services.
How to apply for this remission
Apply in writing.
Call us on 09 301 0101 to discuss your eligibility or write to us to request a remission (reduction) of property rates under this policy.
When you should apply
If your organisation is eligible, you need to apply for a rate remission (reduction) before the start of a rating year.
If you apply during a rating year, the remission will apply from the following rating year. We don’t backdate applications.
What you need to provide
Provide a detailed explanation of how the property meets the eligibility and criteria under this policy, and include the following documents in support of your application:
- statement of objectives
- full financial accounts
- information on activities and programmes
- details of membership of clients
- We may also request other information required to support the application, e.g. proof of registration as a charity with the Charities Commission.
Send all information to:
Private Bag 92300