Eligibility and criteria
- We may grant a remission for land protected for conservation or preservation purposes: Subject to clause 2 (dwelling houses) below we may remit (reduce) 100 per cent of the rates on land which is subject to:
- an open space covenant under section 22 of the Queen Elizabeth the Second National Trust Act 1977
- a heritage covenant under section 52 of the Historic Places Act 1980
- a conservation covenant under section 77 of the Reserves Act 1977
- a declaration of protected private land under section 76 of the Reserves Act 1977
- management agreement for conservation purposes under section 38 of the Reserves Act 1977
- a covenant for conservation purposes under section 27 of the Conservation Act 1987
- a management agreement for conservation purposes under section 29 of the Conservation Act 1987
- a Māori reservation for natural, historic or cultural conservation purposes under section 439 of the Māori Affairs Act 1953
- a covenant with the previous Rodney District Council where the owner undertakes personally to preserve areas of natural bush greater than 10ha for a minimum period of 999 years, not including land protected as a result of a 'bush lot subdivision' granted under the district plan of the former Rodney District Council.
- Dwelling houses: The maximum remission of 100 per of rates will not apply if there is a dwelling house, or a covenant or agreement giving you the right to erect a dwelling house on the land. We will consider applications on a case by case basis.
- Continuation of remissions: When we have approved a particular application the rates shall be remitted (reduced) as long as we are satisfied that the circumstances that existed at the time the application was granted continue to apply. We may request an annual declaration or re-application.
How to apply for this remission
Call us on 09 301 0101 if you have any questions, or write to us to request a remission of property rates under this policy.
Post your request to:
Private Bag 92300