Eligibility and criteria
1. The remission will only apply where the rating unit is wholly or partly subject to:
- an open space covenant under the Queen Elizabeth the Second National Trust Act 1977
- a heritage covenant under section 6 of the Historic Places Act 1993
- a conservation covenant under section 77 of the Reserves Act 1977
- a declaration of protected private land under section 76 of the Reserves Act 1977
- a management agreement for conservation purposes under section 38 of the Reserves Act 1977
- a covenant for conservation purposes under section 27 of the Conservation Act 1987
- a management agreement for conservation purposes under section 29 of the Conservation Act 1987
- a covenant with the local council which has the effect of preserving the land for natural or cultural conservation purposes.
2. Only land which has been voluntarily made subject to one of the above protections will be eligible for remission. Land which has been required to be protected by central or local government, for example as a condition of a resource consent, is not eligible.
3. This remission does not apply to any rating unit used for business purposes. “Business” is defined as “used solely or primarily for business purposes, and including communications, electricity, gas, water supply, sanitary and vacant utilities, medical facilities, theaters and similar entertainment facilities, motels and hotels and similar accommodation, and rating units used for purposes of mineral extraction; but excluding rating units used for farming and agricultural or educational purposes.”
4. This remission does not apply to any rating unit that has qualified for a remission under any of the following sub-schemes:
- remission of rates for private covenanted land in the district of the former Auckland City Council
- remission of rates for natural areas protected in the district of the former Franklin District
- remission of rates on land in the district of the former Papakura District Council protected for natural conservation purposes
- remission for land in the district of the previous Rodney District Council voluntarily protected for natural or historic or cultural conservation purposes.
- A qualifying rating unit will be eligible for a remission of 10 per cent of the same proportion of rates (excluding targeted rates) as the area subject to the covenant, declaration or agreement bears to the area of the rating unit as a whole.
- We reserve the right to request a new application for remission each year and to request a declaration or other proof from you that the rating unit remains eligible for the remission.
How to apply for this remission
Call us on 09 301 0101 if you have any questions, or write to us to request a remission of property rates under this policy.
Post your request to:
Private Bag 92300