Skip to main content
COVID-19 information For information about COVID-19, visit
For the current status of council services and closures - Learn moreCOVID-19 information
Water restrictions in Auckland More Water restrictions are in effect across the Auckland region. Learn moreWater restrictions in Auckland

Report littering in a public place

Whākina te whiu otaota i ngā wāhi tūmatanui

Who to contact

If you see scattered loose rubbish, contact us to report the problem.

If you see litter on a State Highway or motorway, call NZ Transport Agency on 0800 4 HIGHWAYS (0800 44 44 49).

If you see litter on train tracks or within the rail corridor, contact Kiwi Rail:

If you witness littering in a public place:

What information you need to provide

Helpful information includes:

  • location, date and time
  • description of the rubbish
  • whether the rubbish is obstructing the road, causing danger to people, or contains hazardous material such as chemicals, oil or LPG
  • description of the offender
  • registration number of the offender's vehicle
  • description of the offender's vehicle.