Manukau Harbour Flagship Sites Project
The aim of this pilot project is to raise the profile of the Manukau Harbour and build a network of industry leaders who are able to demonstrate best-practice techniques to local businesses.
The Flagship Sites Project aims to inspire and encourage local businesses to reduce their environmental impacts on the Manukau Harbour. It will highlight real examples of companies that have implemented practices that protect and enhance the Manukau Harbour.
The programme will highlight and showcase:
- management of environmentally hazardous substances, including appropriate storage
- spill prevention and response planning
- Industrial Trade Activity (ITA) rules in the Auckland Council Air, Land and Water Plan
- riparian enhancement
- water-sensitive design options, such as rain gardens, swales, permeable paving and rain tanks
- community engagement.
The programme aims to affect behaviour change in industry, and to engage businesses that haven’t prioritised or don’t care about environmental issues by demonstrating best practice and showcasing what an effective environmental protection programme looks like.
The pilot programme will be of one-year duration, commencing in the second quarter of 2015. It will involve four demonstration events each hosted by one of four selected business role models. These initial businesses include Auckland International Airport, Villa Maria Estate, Auckland Harley-Davidson and Owens Transport.
Communication and Activation Plan
Through this project the Manukau Harbour Forum aims to showcase the Manukau Harbour as a unique treasure, inform Aucklanders of the challenges it faces, and keep stakeholders informed as the Forum’s work progresses.
Objectives of the communication project are to:
- Capture core information about the Manukau Harbour Forum and its objectives and activities and disseminate it as widely and cost effectively as possible.
- Educate the public about the health of the Manukau Harbour and what will be required to address this problem.
- Support the Forum to obtain funding for future activities and work programmes, and to communicate the activities of the Manukau Harbour Forum.
- Influence decision making relating to harbour issues.
- Generate a positive perception of the Manukau Harbour, celebrating the positive aspects of this taonga.
- Support the Flagship Sites Programme (above) and contribute to its success.