About the Waitematā area
The Waitematā Local Board includes the Auckland central business district (CBD) and fringe retail and commercial areas, and the inner city residential suburbs.
Suburbs: Westmere, Grey Lynn, Herne Bay, Ponsonby, Arch Hill, St Mary's Bay, Freemans Bay, Newton, Eden Terrace, City Centre, Grafton, Newmarket and Parnell.
High numbers of people travel into the area, particularly to the CBD and commercial fringe, on a daily basis for work, shopping and entertainment.
Cultural and education facilities include the Auckland War Memorial Museum, the Auckland Art Galley, Studio One Tui Tu, the Aotea Centre, the Civic Theatre, the University of Auckland and AUT University. Ports of Auckland is New Zealand’s busiest port and the Domain and Western Springs provide green space for many of the region’s residents.
- In 2013 Waitematā was home to 1.8% of NZ's Population.
- 77,136 people were living in the Waitematā Local Board area.
- 10.2% of the population was under 15 years, 94.3% of which have had a formal qualification.
- The medium age was only 30.4 years, less than NZ which was 38 years.
- 86.6% of households in Waitematā Local Board area had internet and 85% had cell phone.
- There was 159,609 paid employees and 25,255 businesses.
Click on the map to enlarge
or Waitematā Local Board map (PDF 831kb)
back to top