Bylaws are rules made by local councils which affect the way we live, work and play in certain areas.
They cover health, safety and a range of environmental issues.
Current work on bylaws
A review programme is underway to bring together the 158 existing bylaws made by former councils and create consistent rules across Auckland.
The existing bylaws remain in force until we review, cancel or amend them, or they expire.
Our bylaw review programme will assess each bylaw topic and establish if a bylaw is the best way to address the problem and support the community.
Our programme is also looking into where new bylaws might help deliver good outcomes for Aucklanders.
Click on the topic below to see which bylaws we are working on:
- This bylaw relates to the management of animals, other than dogs.
- Submissions closed on 15 September 2014.
- For more information see Proposed Animal Management Bylaw
- Signage - includes general requirements for all signage (except election signs), and has further requirements for particular types of signage including portable signage, posters, event signage and real estate signage. See Proposed Signage Bylaw
- Construction and development - we may call for submissions in the second half of 2014.
- Hostels and boarding houses - we may call for submissions in the second half of 2014.
- Air quality – a proposed bylaw will be notified in November
- Environmental protection - we may call for submissions in the second half of 2014.
- Hazardous substances - the existing bylaw will expire in 2015. See item 9 of the Regulatory and Bylaws committee meeting agenda
- Recreational and cultural facilities - we may call for submissions in the second half of 2014.
- Auckland Council is considering a new Auckland-wide bylaw for stormwater management. The key purpose of the bylaw would be to provide a consistent regulatory approach for stormwater management across Auckland.
- Submissions closed on Wednesday 8 October 2014.
- Read more about the Proposed Stormwater Bylaw.
- The Navigation Safety bylaw has been finalised and is in force from Labour weekend 2014. Find out more about the Navigation Safety Bylaw.
- Onsite wastewater - we may call for submissions in the second half of 2014.
- Orakei basin - we may call for submissions in the second half of 2014.
- Stormwater - submissions open 8 September 2014.
- Water supply and wastewater (reticulation) - we may call for submissions in the second half of 2014.
- Wharves and marinas - we may call for submissions in the second half of 2014.
Have your say on bylaws
We want to hear your views on Auckland’s bylaws.
You will have the opportunity to make a written and/or verbal submission on any new bylaws we create.
The current consultations section above will show bylaws when they are open for submission. See current work on bylaws to see when we will ask for your feedback.
Read more about council's feedback process.
Report a breach of bylaw
Our Bylaw Enforcement Officers investigate breaches in council bylaws.
Contact us if you think that someone has breached a council bylaw. We are ready to help with your enquiries seven days a week, 24 hours a day.
How we set bylaws
We have developed the Auckland Bylaw Standard (PDF 485KB) to make sure we create bylaws that are easy to understand, use and maintain.
Auckland Council and Auckland Transport are the main bylaw-making authorities.
Local boards may propose bylaws that apply only to their area, and Watercare promote but do not set bylaws.
Once the community agrees with a bylaw, we and external agencies such as the New Zealand Police will enforce it.