Auckland Tourism, Events and Economic Development
Auckland Tourism, Events and Economic Development Limited (ATEED) is a council-controlled organisation, which aims to help lift the Auckland region's economic wellbeing, and support and enhance the ability of the region to compete internationally.
ATEED will rationalise and consolidate events and economic development activities across the region to achieve a consistent approach.
The organisation has a significant role in attracting and planning for major events, like Rugby World Cup 2011. It will also continue the work of Tourism Auckland in marketing Auckland as a destination, developing tourism products and running visitor information centres.
Former organisations which now make up ATEED include:
- Council business units responsible for major events
- Enterprising Manukau
- Enterprise North Shore
- Film Auckland
- Tourism Auckland
- Visitor centres including i-sites
- Waitakere Enterprise.
ATEED also has an interest in:
- Enterprise Franklin Development Trust
- Rodney Economic Development Trust
Each year Auckland Council CCOs must complete Statements of Intent as required under the Local Government Act 2002.
Statements of Intent set out the objectives, nature and scope of activities undertaken and performance targets for each CCO.
This helps us achieve the objectives in our Long-term Plan and other strategic plans.
Statement of Intent 2014-2017 (PDF 860KB)
Statement of Intent 2013-2016 (PDF 398KB)
Statement of Intent 2012-2015 (PDF 500KB)
Statement of Intent 2011-2014 (PDF 135KB)
Statement of Intent 2010-2013 (PDF 123KB)
As a council controlled organisation, ATEED is required to publish an annual report within three months of the end of the financial year. That annual report must include financial statements and associated disclosures, as well as a performance statement outlining results achieved against the Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) in our Statement of Intent (SOI).
Annual Report 2013/2014 (PDF 5.1MB)
Annual Report 2012/2013 (PDF 3.2MB)
Annual Report 2011/2012 (PDF 5.9KB)
Annual Report 2010/2011 (PDF 5.9MB)
Audit report disclosure (PDF 23KB)
Hard copies of the Annual Reports are available by contacting Charmaine Ngarimu, Manager Communications and Media, on 09 365 0575.
- Auckland Convention Bureau
- Destination marketing
- Advocacy and industry liaison
- Visitor information centres (i-SITEs)
- Product development
- Tourism business development
- Destination management
- Skill development
- Study Auckland
- Competitive bidding
- Funding and sponsorship
- Coordination and leveraging
- Facilitation (regulatory – permitting)
- Delivery (regional and community events)
- Marketing and promotion
- Industry development and advocacy
- Coordination of filming activities
Business development including:
- Business mentoring and coaching
- Research and development grants (central government)
- Key client management
- Local investment facilitation
- Local business events and networks
- Business starts
- Business improvement districts and town centre development
- Young Enterprise schemes
- Education and skills initiatives
Sector development including:
- Export education
- Export promotion
- Food and beverages
- Foreign direct investment attraction
- Information and communication technologies
- Promotion of industry/ innovation links
- Rural/primary sector development
- Screen production
Auckland Tourism, Events and Economic Development has central, west, north and south offices.
- Physical address: Level 8, 139 Quay Street
- Postal address: PO Box 5561, Wellesley Street, Auckland 1141
- Telephone: 09 365 0500
- Physical address: Level 1, Central One, 4 Henderson Valley Road, Henderson
- Postal address: PO Box 21 848, Henderson
- Telephone: 09 837 1855
- Physical address: Level 1, Building 1, 61 Constellation Drive, Rosedale
- Postal address: PO Box 302 283, North Harbour 0751
- Telephone: 09 354 0059
- Physical addresses: The Ford Building, 86 Highbrook Drive, East Tamaki
- Postal address: PO Box 204 357, Highbrook, Auckland 2161
- Telephone: 09 354 0095
Chief Executive: Brett O'Riley
General Manager - Destination and Marketing: Vivien Bridgwater
General Manager - Major Events: Rakel Liew
General Manager - Business Attraction and Investment: Mark Ford
General Manager - Economic Growth: Patrick McVeigh
Head of Council and Corporate Relationships: Steve Armitage
Head of Strategic Initiatives: Grant Jenkins
Chief Financial Officer: Barbara Imlach
Board of directors
- Chair: David McConnell BE, MBA
David is Managing Director of the McConnell Group, following a career in engineering consulting, and a Director of the Committee for Auckland. David has previously served on the Boards of Mighty River Power, TelstraClear Pacific Trust and the University of Auckland Business School, among others.
- Deputy Chair: Norman (Norm) Thompson
Norm is Deputy Chief Executive of Air New Zealand, following a long career with the airline. He is also a Director of a number of Air New Zealand subsidiaries and associated companies, including Altitude Aerospace Interiors, of which he is chair. Norm is also the chair of the Tourism Industry Association of New Zealand and the Tourism Exchange, and is on the Board of UNICEF New Zealand.
- Franceska Banga
Franceska is Chief Executive of the New Zealand Venture Investment Fund. She was a member of the capital markets development taskforce (2009-2010), chaired the New Zealand Private Equity & Venture Capital Association, was chief advisor strategy for the Ministry of Research, Science and Technology (2000-2001), and was director of the New Zealand Treasury (1997-2000).
- Danny Chan
Danny's business experience lies in the healthcare and education sectors. He also has public and private sector governance experience. Danny is a member of the New Zealand China Council’s Advisory Board and is fluent in both Cantonese and Mandarin.
- Richard Jeffery
Richard is Chief Executive of Vodafone Events Centre, and was formerly a director of Tomorrow’s Manukau Property Ltd and subsidiaries. He was appointed to the ATEED Board for his skills and experience in managing risk associated with the hosting of major events. Richard has a background in tourism and hospitality, cultural event promotion, and community engagement.
- Helen Robinson
Helen has been a leader in the technology sector for more than 25 years. She is an experienced director and currently the chair of The Network for Learning Ltd (N4L), a new crown entity charged with improving educational outcomes by transforming schools to technology-based learning environments. Helen joined ATEED on 1 September 2013.