Help control pest animals

If your pest control programme isn't carefully planned, there's a risk the pests will reappear and recover in a short space of time.

Control programmes

We recommend thinking about the following questions when planning a programme to control an animal pest at home or in the workplace.

  • Do I need year round control, or just seasonal protection, such as during bird breeding?
  • Do I want to use toxins, or traps?
  • If I use toxins, are pets or other animals at risk from direct exposure or from eating the carcasses?
  • If I use traps, can I service them or refill bait stations regularly enough?
  • If I control this pest, what will happen to the numbers of other pests?
  • How will I dispose of pest carcasses?
  • Have I got enough time or commitment to keep this project going?
  • Will I be more successful if I work with my neighbours to remove the pests?
  • Have I got some form of monitoring in place to see if I have been successful? 

Pests on your property

Animal pests on private land are normally the owner’s responsibility to remove.

In some situations council, or an agency like the Ministry for Primary Industries, can investigate the cause of the problem and provide advice. However, we generally don't actively remove the pest.

You can check the Yellow pages for 'Pest Control Services' in your area to get assistance and advice on products to use.

You'll also need to decide when you are going to undertake pest control and what method to use. It’s important to plan in continuity so that if the pests recover or reappear, your hard work won’t be undone.

It is vital to keep any traps or bait stations on your own property. Never place them on public land, as they can pose a risk to park users and animals like dogs.

Pests on other properties

Neighbours need to work together to make their properties less attractive for pests like rats and mice.

You can also contact us to report pests coming from your neighbour's property so we can investigate the causes.

Thing that can attract pests include:

  • accumulated rubbish
  • overgrown sections
  • poorly stored food and compost.

If you believe pests are coming to your property from public land, contact us to let us know.

Exotic pests

If you've sighted an exotic pest animal, report it immediately to the Ministry for Primary Industries.

From time to time, the Ministry for Primary Industries will identify threats from new pest species. For information, or to report a sighting of the pest species below, contact the Ministry for Primary Industries on 0800 80 99 66.


Your feedback helps us to improve our website. If you have feedback about our services (not the website), please contact us.