Rubbish and recycling

Inorganic collections

We offer a residential service for collecting inorganic, approved materials. Collections are done by our contractors.

Inorganic collections run throughout the year in different areas of Auckland. You will receive a leaflet in your letterbox a few days before your collection starts.

Inorganic material you put out for collection is taken straight to landfill. If your items can be recycled or re-used, please do not put them out with your inorganic collection. 

Find out how you can reduce your waste by recycling and re-using items.


Next collections

The proposed inorganic collection periods for 2014/2015 are:

  • Waitakere - From March 2015
  • North Shore - June to November 2014
  • Papakura - September to October 2014
  • Manukau - July to November 2014
  • Waiheke Island - October to November 2014
  • Central - January to July 2015

You will receive a leaflet in your letterbox three to five days before the collection is due. You should not put anything out until the date and time specified on the leaflet.

Use our inorganic collection search during your collection period to check the specific collection days for your street.

If you live in Waitakere, you'll need to book your collection in advance. See Waitakere inorganic rubbish for more.

What you can put out

You can put out old furniture, appliances, carpet and bikes if they can be lifted by two people.

Inorganic rubbish should be placed neatly on the kerb, keeping piles clear of footpaths, driveways, fire hydrants, trees, and power and telephone poles.

Each household can place out the equivalent of one small trailer load of rubbish for collection.

Remember, all items collected, apart from steel, are sent to landfill, so please try to recycle or re-use items.

What you cannot put out

We will not collect:

  • household rubbish - this should be put out in your regular collection
  • recyclables - these should be put out in your regular collection
  • building, trade or demolition waste (rubble, concrete, bricks, wood and glass)
  • green waste (grass clippings, and tree and hedge trimmings)
  • tyres
  • car parts
  • plaster board
  • liquids - especially paint
  • CNG or LPG containers
  • oil or petrol containers
  • any items containing asbestos
  • non-complying and hazardous waste - take your hazardous waste to a waste transfer station.

Back to top