Apply for a signage exemption

Do I need an exemption?

You need to apply for an exemption when the sign you want to display does not comply with the Signage Bylaw.

Common sign types for which you may need an exemption include:

  • portable or temporary: flag, ladder board, poster, real estate, sandwich board, vehicle and window sign.
  • fixed or permanent: freestanding, flat wall mounted, horizontal wall mounted, veranda fascia, under veranda and billboard (Auckland City area only).

How to apply

1. Speak to a planner or a bylaw officer

Real estate signs

Contact us on 09 301 0101 and ask to speak with a bylaw officer.

All other signs

Contact us on 09 301 0101 for a free initial 15 minute consultation with a resource consents officer to discuss your intended application for sign exemption.

You can also visit a service centre and ask to speak with a duty planner. See the free advice we offer.

2. Get all the paperwork together

Portable or temporary signs

You'll need to include:

  • scale plan of the site
  • scale plan of the sign
  • details of the Signage Bylaw clause that you want exemption from.

Fixed or permanent signs

You'll need to include:

  • certificate(s) of title less than three months old
  • locality plan or aerial photo showing where you want to put the sign
  • details of the Signage Bylaw clause that you want exemption from
  • two copies (including one unbound) of all your information and application form. If you give us a PDF electronic version, we don't need an extra hard copy.

3. Fill out the application form

Portable or temporary signs

You can apply and pay online.

Alternatively, download and fill in an application form:

Application for signage exemption - Licensing and Compliance Services (PDF 71KB)

Fixed or permanent signs

Application for signage exemption / approval - Resource Consent (PDF 72KB)

You can also get a copy of these forms from your local service centre.

4. Pay us the deposit

You must pay a non-refundable deposit with your application.

  • Portable or temporary signs - Application for signage exemption (Licensing and Compliance Services): $180.
  • Fixed or permanent signs - Application for signage exemption (Resource Consents): $500.

Note the following rules about our fees:

  • An application fee is needed for each site location of a sign exemption. This means, if you want to put up multiple signs in one location, you only need to pay one fee. But, if you want to put them in multiple locations, then you need to pay a fee for each location.
  • In addition to the application fee, you might need to pay other fees as part of the assessment of your application. We will contact you to let you know.

You can pay by:

  • MasterCard, Visa or Account2Account (bank transfer) if you upload your application online
  • cheque if you're posting us your application
  • cash, cheque, eftpos, or credit card (MasterCard or Visa) if you're dropping off your application at a service centre.

5. Give us all the paperwork and photocopies

You can upload your completed application online.

You can drop off your application at one of our service centres.

You can post your application to:

Auckland Council
Private Bag 92300
Victoria Street West
Auckland 1142

We will assess your application on the criteria outlined in the Signage Bylaw.

We will contact you with a decision within 20 working days.

Glossary of sign types

Your feedback helps us to improve our website. If you have feedback about our services (not the website), please contact us.