Noise control

Western Springs Stadium noise monitoring

We monitor noise generated by speedway meetings and concerts regularly, when events take place.

We use noise monitoring equipment to:

  • address concerns about speedway noise
  • make monitoring easier and more accurate
  • ensure that activities comply with the district plan.

In addition to noise monitoring, we observe meteorological conditions such as wind speed. This is essential information as weather conditions have a significant impact on noise levels.


Latest speedway noise results

We monitor noise levels from the start to the finish of each race.

The levels must not exceed 90dBA L10 for 60 per cent of the total races on any night, and 88dBA L10 for the remaining 40 per cent of the races.

The Kiwi-Kids class must comply with a level of 85dBA L10.

5 March 2016

Race

Class

Noise level - LAF10(dBA)

Wind speed (m/s)

1

TQ Midget

85

3.9

2

F2 Midget

84

3.8

3

Kiwi Kidz

82

2.7

4

Midget

88

2.4

5

Midget

88

2.7

6

Sprint Car

87

3.1

7

TQ Midget

86

3.2

8

F2 Midget

85

2.9

9

Sidecar

83

2.9

10

Midget

87

2.5

11

Kiwi Kidz

83

2.1

12

Midget

87

2.9

13

Sprintcar

88

1.9

14

Sidecar

86

1.3

15

TQ Midget

87

1.3

16

F2 Midget

87

1.3

17

Midget

87

1.7

18

Sidecar

83

1.4

19

TQ Midget

87

1.8

20

Sprintcar

89 2
21

Kiwi Kidz Feature

84 0.9
22

Midget Semi Main

84 1.3
23

Sidecar Feature

83 0
24 F2 Midget Feature 88 0.3
25

TQ Midget Feature

85 0
26

Midget Feature

91 0
27

Sprint Car Feature

89 0

 

Arithmetic mean; 83.0
Total number of races; 24
3; greater than 88
21; less than/equal to 88
13.0% >88 dBA
87.0% <=88 dBA

 


Past results

 

 


Definitions

L10 definition

A noise level which can only be exceeded for 10 per cent of the time. For example L10 85 dBA means that over a 30 minutes period, the noise may only go above 85 dBA for three minutes.

Wind speed

Wind speed is measured by metres per second (m/s).

Your feedback helps us to improve our website. If you have feedback about our services (not the website), please contact us.