Street trading and performance

Public markets

      What is a public place?

      A public place is any site that Auckland Council or a Council-Controlled Organisation (CCO) own, manage or maintain, and is open for use to the public.

      Public places include roads, footpaths, public squares, grass verges, public gardens, reserves, parks, beaches, wharves, access ways, and sports fields.

      Do I need a market licence

      Information for market organisers/operators

      You do not need a mobile trading or market licence if you are trading at an existing market. Contact the market organiser to discuss your options. If your market is in a private car park, you need permission from the landowner. If you:

      Request a pre-application meeting

      You may request one free pre-application meeting with an inspector. This may be a phone call, a site visit or an office meeting at a council building. Contact us to request a meeting.

      Apply for a market licence

      Check if your proposed location needs a resource consent by contacting us.

      Apply and pay online

      You will need to login to complete an online application form.

      You can pay by MasterCard, Visa or Account2Account (bank transfer).

      Apply and pay in person

      Download and fill in an application form:

      Application to operate a market on public land (PDF 74KB)

      You can also pick up or drop off your application at any of our service centres and pay by cash, cheque, eftpos, MasterCard or Visa.

      If posting your application, include a cheque. Post to:

      Licensing and Compliance Services
      Private Bag 92300
      Auckland 1142

      Market licence fees

      Market licence fees are a combination of a licence fee and a rental fee. See Licence fees for trading in public places or Licence fee calculator to estimate your fee. 

      The licence fee is required with your application.

      The rental fee will be calculated after an inspection.

      The fees published on this website are an estimate only, and can only be confirmed by a bylaws officer.

      Renew your market licence

      You will need to apply to renew your licence before your current licence expires if you wish to keep your licence active.

      If you are a seasonal trader you need to renew before your current licence expires to make sure we hold your preferred location. You will have the option to delay your start date.

      Transfer of ownership

      If you have taken over the management of a market with an existing public market licence, you must Apply for a market licence and provide us with any new details.

      Your feedback helps us to improve our website. If you have feedback about our services (not the website), please contact us.