The Annual budget (Annual plan)
Each year Auckland Council is required to have a plan in place that outlines its:
- prioritised activities and projects
- intended service levels
- funding information
- financial policies for the coming year.
A long-term plan is produced every three years. This sets out the direction, priorities and funding for the next ten years.
An annual plan is then produced for each year in between long-term plans. This provides an opportunity to refresh the information for the coming year and consult with the community on any changes that are proposed.
Annual budget (Annual plan) 2016/2017
Following a public consultation on four key rating issues and local board priorities, on 13 May 2016 the council agreed the budget which includes these key decisions:
- We plan to invest $1.2 billion in Auckland over the next year to support growth, while also providing $3.7 billion to deliver day-to-day council services.
- On average, general rates will increase by 2.4 per cent. This will mean a 2.5 per cent increase for residential ratepayers and 1.9 per cent increase for business ratepayers.
- The fixed component of rates (UAGC) will be set at $394 for 2016/2017.
- The Interim Transport Levy will remain at $113.85 for residential ratepayers and $182.85 for business ratepayers.
- The general rate differential for farm and lifestyle properties will remain at 80 per cent of the urban residential rate.
- Māori freehold land rates remission and postponement policy will be amended to reduce rates for some Māori land where the value of the property does not reflect the land’s actual potential use. The policy will also provide remissions for rateable urupā and marae.
- We will fund the subsidy that allows older people to travel free on public transport. This will no longer be provided by the government and New Zealand Transport Agency after 1 June 2016.
These decisions and the final budget will be confirmed, and rates struck on 30 June 2016. The full budget will then be made available online.
Consultation with Aucklanders closed on Thursday 24 March. View the reports on the consultation:
Annual Plan 2016/2017 consultation feedback overview report (PDF 446KB)
Annual Plan 2016/2017 consultation feedback rating policy report (PDF 633KB)
You can download an index showing the name of each submitter:
Annual Plan 2016/2017 submitter index (PDF 312KB)
To view the full detail of a submission, see the submissions page.
Annual Plan 2014/2015
Download the plan in either PDF or HTML:
Volume 1 - Our Plan for 2014/2015 (PDF 6.2MB)
Volume 1 - Our Plan for 2014/2014 (HTML 6.2MB)
Volume 2 - Local Board Information and Agreements (PDF 8.3MB)
Volume 2 - Local Board Information and Agreements (HTML 4.3MB)
Hard copies will be available for viewing at libraries, local board offices and service centres by the end of July.
If you would like a hard copy or Microsoft Word version of the plan email the Annual Plan Team or contact us.