Found and impounded dogs
What to do if you've found a dog
If you have found a dog that has a tag, call us on 0800 462 685. Even if a dog seems to be stray, it might be missing or stolen from its home.
We will check the dog's history and try to contact the owner. We can also arrange with you to collect the dog if we can't contact the owner.
If you have lost your dog, let us know by completing our online lost dog form.
Dogs we've found
Once we have picked up a dog it will be taken to one of our animal shelters.
Dogs can be impounded for:
- roaming or straying
- being unregistered
- breaching a barking abatement notice.
Reuniting dogs with owners
If your dog has been impounded, you will need to:
- Pay any impounding fees to claim your dog. The fees help to cover the costs of looking after your dog while it is with us.
- Pay any registration fees that are outstanding. The registration year begins on 1 July. All dogs impounded after this date will need to be registered for the upcoming year, before they are returned.
- Get your dog micro-chipped. You must get your dog micro-chipped before we release it from impoundment if:
- your dog is unregistered when it gets impounded or
- it gets impounded twice after 1 July 2006.
You can pay any fees with cash or credit card - we do not accept cheques.
If your fees are unpaid within seven days of your dog being impounded, we may adopt out or euthanise your dog.
Seizing unregistered dogs
If your dog is unregistered, we have the authority to seize and impound it.
We can enter private property to seize an unregistered dog.
We can enter your home if we have a court warrant and are accompanied by a police officer.
If your dog has been seized, please call us on 09 301 0101.