Commercial activity in parks

You need a permit to carry out any activity in a park or reserve if it generates private benefit or financial reward.

This includes commercial activities without permanent infrastructure:

  • mobile vendors
  • hiring recreation equipment
  •  guiding and tuition.

The activity must contribute to the positive experience of the park without negatively affecting park values, creating conflict or competition among vendors.

To hold an event or film in a park, see Getting permission to hold your event.

Get permission to carry out a commercial activity in a park

We grant one-year permits for the first term, with a maximum of five-year permits to proven operators. We will discuss licence fees with you at the time of application.

We will assess your application based on the potential benefits provided by the proposed activity.

We also look at the impact on the:

  • recreational values, including effects on other park users 
  • park’s natural, cultural and tangata whenua values 
  • surrounding neighbourhood or community.

The application process varies depending on the type of park.

Regional park

To propose a commercial activity in a regional park, you need to contact us and:

Please refer to the list of companies currently permitted to operate commercial activities on regional parkland.

Local or sports park

You will need landowner approval and a street trading licence to carry out a commercial activity in a local or sports park.

Contact us to get an application form and check with a Parks Advisor if you need landowner approval.

If landowner approval is required, you will need to let us know how the activity will affect the park. Landowner conditions may be included as part of your street and public places trading permit.

Fitness training or bootcamps

The operation of fitness training or bootcamps is currently exempt of this process. However, operators should speak to us about appropriate locations and the code of conduct (PDF 82KB) that applies to this type of park use.

Landowner approval

To gain landowner approval, you need to provide the following information on how your proposed activity will affect the park and its users:

  • the proposed location on the park
  • scale
  • frequency
  • duration
  • management of parking demand
  • safety
  • noise
  • signage
  • waste
  • previous experience of the operator
  • proof of any required certifications, insurance and consultation.

Perform research or collect plants in a regional park

You need a permit to undertake commercial or educational research and may have to pay an application fee. 

You will need to contact us and:

Lease a regional park for exclusive use

Contact us to apply for a new lease for exclusive use of regional parkland.

To apply for a renewal or variation of a current lease or license, you will need to contact us and:

Companies operating on regional parkland

Click on the activity below to find out which companies are permitted to operate commercially on regional parkland:

  • Berry Yummy Ice Cream
  • Danish Delight Icecream
  • GMC Tech NZ Ltd, trading as Mr Whippy
  • Peter Hapeta - Kiwi Grill
  • Supa Softee Icecream (Shakespear)
  • Superwhip Mobile Icecream
  • Andre Lambly - Beekeeper
  • Auckland Honey House Limited
  • Beebox Limited
  • Paul Carstensen - Beekeeper
  • Zelande Limited - Beekeeper

Your feedback helps us to improve our website. If you have feedback about our services (not the website), please contact us.