Skip to main content

1. Check if you need a consent to add an awning

Have your plan ready

Under the NZ Building Regulations there is a lot of building work you can do yourself. The website for the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment is also helpful. 

Before checking whether you need a consent for your awning, you need to know:

  • dimensions of the project (height, total area)
  • location on property where the project will go
  • size of the property in square metres
  • total pre-existing building coverage on property
  • total pre-existing hard surfaces on property
  • proprietary products or kit-sets will require sign-off from a Chartered Professional Engineer and should be installed in accordance with the instruction manual.

Depending on the size and design of your structure, the work (design and/or construction) may be required to be carried out by a Chartered Professional Engineer and/or Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP).   

Our tip

If your awning is close to a boundary, and you have the written approval from your neighbours, you can apply for a Deemed Permitted Boundary Activity.
This application replaces the need to apply for a resource consent.
You will still need to apply for a building consent, if required.

​How to check if you need a consent to add an awning

From 31 August 2020, several new building consent exemptions are in place regarding awnings.

The latest guidance on these exemptions can found on the MBIE website.


​Our online tool helps you check if you need a building or resource consent for your awning.

This tool only applies to an awning attached to the ground floor or first floor of a building.

Have your plans ready before you start.

It should take you about 10 minutes to complete.

Check now

 By phone

​Contact us on 09 301 0101.

 In person

​Visit your nearest library with council services.

You should know

  • All connections with external walls, and those providing awning support, must provide adequate resistance to stop moisture entering the building.
  • Awnings must not overhang any area accessible by the public, including private areas with limited public access (for example, restaurants and bars).

For more information on these requirements, see the MBIE website.

Your building work must:

  • comply with the Building Code, even if no building consent is needed
  • not damage public service drains if its foundations are close to the pipes.