Have your plan ready
Under the NZ Building Regulations there is a lot of
building work you can do yourself. The website for the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment is also helpful.
Before checking whether you need a consent for your awning, you need to know:
- dimensions of the project (height, total area)
- location on property where the project will go
- size of the property in square metres
- total pre-existing building coverage on property
- total pre-existing hard surfaces on property
- proprietary products or kit-sets will require sign-off from a Chartered Professional Engineer and should be installed in accordance with the instruction manual.
Depending on the size and design of your structure, the work (design and/or construction) may be required to be carried out by a Chartered Professional Engineer and/or Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP).