Skip to main content

3. Apply for a consent to build a deck

3. E tono whakaaetanga mō te hanga rahoraho

We recommend you engage a professional to complete your application form.

Our tip

If your deck is close to a boundary, and you have the written approval from your neighbours, you can apply for a Deemed Permitted Boundary Activity.
This application replaces the need to apply for a resource consent.
You will still need to apply for a building consent, if required.


You will need to login to complete the online application, upload the completed AC1011 Lodgement checklist: Residential and pay by Visa, MasterCard, Online EFTPOS or Account2Account (bank transfer).

Complete a AC1011 Lodgement checklist: Residential.


Apply for a building consent

Apply for a resource consent

We only accept online applications for this service. If you are unable to apply digitally, visit one of our libraries with council services for assistance in making your online application.

Call us on 09 301 0101 to speak with our building and planning help desk if you have questions regarding your application.

​Consent application fee

The consent fee depends on the value and complexity of your project.

There are separate fees for resource and building consents.

See Building control fees and charges and Resource consent fees and charges.

What happens next

If you application is not complete, we will return it to you requesting the missing information.

We will process complete applications within 10 working days.

We will let you know the decision by email or post.