E tono whakaaetanga ā-rawa whenua wawae
Apply for a subdivision resource consent
You need a subdivision resource consent to divide a parcel of land or a building into one or more further parcels, or to change an existing boundary location.
When to apply to subdivide your property
Here are a few examples of when you need to apply for subdivision resource consent:
- Subdividing your land into separately owned properties (fee simple).
- Adjusting the boundary of your land.
- Converting a cross-lease into a freehold title.
- Amending a cross-lease, unit title or company lease by making alterations or additions.
What to do before you apply to subdivide your property
- Take advantage of our free helpdesk service to find out as much information as possible before you start the subdivision application process.
- Talk to a Licensed Cadastral Surveyor about whether your property can be subdivided.
- If necessary, consult an engineer or a lawyer.
- If you decide to proceed, have your property surveyed and get pre-application guidance if necessary and then apply for a subdivision consent.
- If we grant your subdivision consent, it is likely to include conditions you will need to follow.
- Once the consent is granted, submit a more detailed survey plan to us to get a s223 RMA certificate (your surveyor will help with this process).
- Once the survey plan is approved, you can begin works. You must comply with subdivision consent conditions such as installing services (water, wastewater, power and phone), entrances and driveways.
- Once all physical works required by the consent have been completed,
apply for a s224(c) RMA certificate from us, providing evidence about how each consent condition was met.
- Once you have your certificates and have paid all fees, lodge the subdivision plan and certificate with Land Information NZ (LINZ), who will issue the new Records of Title. Your lawyer will help with this process. A Record of Title is needed to sell each parcel of land separately.
The key professional for the subdivision process your Licensed Cadastral Surveyor.
You may also need a consultant planner, an engineer and a lawyer.
Apply online for a subdivision resource consent
We only accept online applications for a subdivision resource consent. If you are unable to apply digitally, visit one of our service centres for assistance in making your online application.
Before you apply check the
document naming standards for resource consent online applications.
If there is no way to provide digital copies of your plans or documents, visit one of our service centres
. Our staff will accept your documents for an additional charge. The charge covers costs involved with us scanning your documents into our digital consent system.
Call us on 09 301 0101 to speak with our building and planning help desk if you have questions regarding your application.
|Consider stormwater when building||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/stormwater||Consider stormwater when building||If you are doing any sort of development, one of the factors you need to consider is stormwater. Find out what you need to know about stormwater before you begin.||aspx||Stormwater|
|Development contributions||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/development-contributions||Development contributions||Find out what development contributions are and the types of projects you may need to pay fees for. Use our tool to estimate your contribution fees.||aspx||Building and consents|
|Check if you can subdivide your property||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/resource-consents/types-resource-consents/subdivision-of-property/check-subdivide-property||Check if you can subdivide your property||Where to start and things to consider if you are thinking about subdividing your property.||aspx||Subdivision resource consent|
|Cross-lease properties ||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/resource-consents/types-resource-consents/subdivision-of-property/Pages/cross-lease-properties.aspx||Cross-lease properties ||Find out what your rights and constraints are if your property has a cross-lease title. ||aspx||Subdivision resource consent|
|Driveways, vehicle crossings and access standards||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/resource-consents/types-resource-consents/subdivision-of-property/Pages/driveways-access-standards.aspx||Driveways, vehicle crossings and access standards||Requirements for vehicle and pedestrian access to private property from the road. Includes information on vehicle crossings, access to rear sites, minimum vehicle access widths and more.||aspx||Subdivision resource consent|
|Right of way and land title certification||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/resource-consents/types-resource-consents/subdivision-of-property/Pages/right-way-certificate.aspx||Right of way and land title certification||Find out about a right of way and other land title certification, what it is, if you need one and how to apply.||aspx||Building and consents|