Check if you can chop, prune or trim a tree on neighbouring properties
Tirohia mēnā ka āhei tū turaki, kokoti, āta kutikuti noa rānei i ngā rākau i te whenua pātata ki tōu
Problems can arise when trees grow, block drains, disrupt walls and foundations or create hazards.
What you need to know
- If any branches or roots from trees on your property cross a boundary, your neighbour has the right to cut or trim them. However, they may still need resource consent to do so.
- If a tree on your property endangers life or property or diminishes their property, as a last resort, your neighbour can apply for a court order to have you trim or remove it.
- If the tree was planted on the boundary, you and your neighbours are co-owners.
What you need to do
If a problem is caused by a neighbour’s tree, or your tree causes problems for them, talk to:
- us first, to check if the tree is protected or council owned
- your neighbours and try to solve the issue amicably.
For advice on the best course of action:
|Plants and animals||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/plants-animals||Plants and animals||Find information on animal and plant pests, weeds, and how to plant for your local ecosystem.||aspx|
|Pests and weeds||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/plants-animals/pests-weeds||Pests and weeds||Find information on identifying and controlling weeds, pest animals and plant diseases.||aspx|
|Types of resource consent||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/resource-consents/types-resource-consents||Types of resource consent||Find information on the different types of resource consents. ||aspx|
|Protect our kauri trees||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/environment/plants-animals/pests-weeds/protect-our-kauri-trees||Protect our kauri trees||Kauri trees are under the threat of kauri dieback disease. Our steps in controlling the disease include setting up protection zones and educating the public.||aspx|
|Notable trees||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/working-on-around-trees/Pages/what-is-notable-tree.aspx||Notable trees||Find out what a notable tree is, how they are evaluated and how you can nominate a tree to become notable. Check if a tree is notable by phoning or emailing us.||aspx|
|Working on or around protected trees||https://www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/building-and-consents/working-on-around-trees/Pages/working-on-around-protected-trees.aspx||Working on or around protected trees||You will need to apply for a resource consent to cut down, work around, trim or prune it, as the work may destroy it or cause irreparable damage to it. ||aspx|