Skip to main content
COVID-19 Alert Level 1 Most of our services have resumed. Some restrictions remain. Visitors to our buildings should check in using the NZ COVID Tracer app or register manually.
For the current status of council services and closures - Learn moreCOVID-19 Alert Level 1
Water restrictions in Auckland More Water restrictions are in effect across the Auckland region. Learn moreWater restrictions in Auckland

1. Get training for a manager's certificate (alcohol)

Whakangūngū tiwhikete kaiwhakahaere (hoko waipiro)

Managers of licensed businesses need to complete specific training and qualifications and comply with New Zealand's alcohol laws.

Managers have to complete two unit standards from the New Zealand Qualifications Authority:

  • 4646 - Demonstrate knowledge of the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012
  • 16705 - Demonstrate knowledge of host responsibility requirements as a duty manager of licensed premises.

The unit standards complement the Licence Controller Qualification course and require around 20 to 30 hours of study.

When you complete the unit standards, you'll need to request:

You must also have at least three months recent experience managing the sale, supply and consumption of alcohol on a licensed premises in New Zealand, as a temporary or acting manager, or under the guidance of a certified manager.