Skip to main content

Start a cafe or restaurant

Tokonga whare kawhi, wharekai rānei

This guide pulls together a list of the licences you need to start a cafe or restaurant.

Get your food registration first.



Apply for food registrationGuide to applying for food registration and choosing the food plan that suits your business.GuideaspxFood Alcohol



Apply for an alcohol on-licenceFind out how to apply for an alcohol on-licence.GuideaspxAlcohol licensing



Apply for an outdoor dining licenceCheck if you need a licence before applying and paying. Find out what you need to apply and check the outdoor dining rules. GuideaspxOutdoor dining licence