Skip to main content
COVID-19 Red setting

For information about our services and facilities restrictions during the protection framework settings, see the COVID-19 section.

For up-to-date information on COVID-19, visit

Pioro o ngā mahi hanga, whakatikatika whare hoki

Construction and maintenance noise

Construction noise and household DIY noise

The hours when noisy construction work is allowed depends on the location and days of the week.

Construction sites often have a resource or building consent that allows for different noise levels or working hours. Contact us to find out.

Construction noise is allowed at the following times:

​Location ​Times
​Within the CBD

Monday to Friday: 6.30am to 10.30pm

Saturday: 7am to 11pm

Sunday: 9am to 7pm

All other times: some construction work is permitted in the CBD at night, but the permitted level is subject to land use and duration.

​Residential areas

Monday to Friday

  • 6.30am to 7.30am: low level noise activities permitted (arrival, preparation for work).
  • 7.30am to 6pm: construction work permitted
  • 6pm to 8pm: construction work can continue but with a slight reduction in permitted noise level. Some types of high impact noise may breach at this time.


7.30am to 6pm: construction work permitted (no activities permitted before 7.30am)

Sunday and public holidays

No noisy construction work allowed.

​Commercial and industrial areas
  • ​Permitted at any time, depending on what's nearby.
  • Not permitted at night near residential activities, hospitals, hotels, hostels, accommodation, and other noise sensitive activities.
  • May also depend on resource consent conditions or permits.


Home, vehicle and garden maintenance

The construction and maintenance noise rules do not apply when the noise is associated with normal residential household activities like home handyman work undertaken intermittenly and at reasonable times.

This exemption does not apply to contractor and commercial activities, like work on construction sites and projects.

We assess all construction and maintenance noise complaints on a case-by-case basis.


Vibration from building sites can often be felt by neighbours and may cause concern. Although vibrations are felt, it is uncommon for them to be strong enough to cause damage to property or breach council rules.

The most common exceptions are with pile driving and heavy rock breaking activities.

Vibrations from a digger working on an adjacent residential property would not normally be sufficient to breach the vibration standards in the Auckland Unitary Plan.

If the vibrations are such that structural damage is likely, we can visit and assess the vibration when it is happening.

Damage to property from vibration is a matter of civil dispute. If damage has occurred and you are seeking compensation, contact the person responsible, and/or your insurance company.

 Related topics



Report excessive dog barking excessive dog barkingFind out how you can make a complaint about dog barking and what happens when we receive a complaint about excessive barking.aspxDogs
How to prevent a noise complaint to prevent a noise complaintThings you can do to reduce noise and show consideration for your neighbours. To find out the noise levels permitted in your area, call 09 301 0101.aspxNoise
Western Springs noise monitoring results Springs noise monitoring resultsWe monitor noise generated by speedway meetings and concerts regularly, when events take place. aspxNoise
Complain about noise about noiseHow to complain about noise and what happens once your complaint has been made.aspxNoise
Ongoing problems with noise problems with noiseFind out how ongoing noise problems - including residential, industrial, commercial and mechanical - can be dealt with.aspxNoise
Pay a noise fine a noise fineYou can pay a noise fine online (depending on your location), by post, or in person.aspxNoise