Construction and maintenance noise
Pioro o ngā mahi hanga, whakatikatika whare hoki
The hours when noisy construction work is allowed depends on the location and days of the week.
Construction sites often have a resource or building consent that allows for different noise levels or working hours.
Contact us to find out.
Construction noise is allowed at the following times:
|Within the CBD|
Monday to Friday: 6.30am to 10.30pm
Saturday: 7am to 11pm
Sunday: 9am to 7pm
All other times: some construction work is permitted in the CBD at night, but the permitted level is subject to land use and duration.
Monday to Friday
- 6.30am to 7.30am: low level noise activities permitted (arrival, preparation for work).
- 7.30am to 6pm: construction work permitted
- 6pm to 8pm: work can continue, but no noisy work (e.g. hammering, power tools, excavation).
7.30am to 6pm: construction work permitted (no activities permitted before 7.30am)
Sunday and public holidays
No noisy construction work allowed.
|Commercial and industrial areas|
- Permitted at any time, depending on what's nearby.
- Not permitted at night near residential activities, hospitals, hotels, hostels, accommodation, and other noise sensitive activities.
- May also depend on resource consent conditions or permits.
Home, vehicle and garden maintenance
The construction and maintenance noise rules do not apply when the noise is associated with normal residential household activities like home handyman work undertaken at reasonable times.
This exemption does not apply to contractor and commercial activities, like work on construction sites and projects.
We assess all construction and maintenance noise complaints on a case-by-case basis.