Description of the Harbourview Walk
Harbourview Walk offers wide-open spaces, panoramic views of Auckland and the harbour, and bracing sea air.
The walkway wends its way past two historic homes, over several small creeks, and around water features.
There are boardwalks and a picnic platform out over the water at Harbourview Reserve.
Special inhabitants you may see include the rare and shy fernbird, kokopu, a native fish found in the streams, and godwits, world travelling birds who visit the shell banks off the peninsula.
Spinnaker and Kelvin Strand Walk
On the Te Atatu Peninsula, Spinnaker and Kelvin Strand walk takes 10 minutes and follows a coastal wetland and a sandy beach to view West Harbour Marina.
Chapman Strand Walk
Chapman Strand follows a seawall to the Te Atatu Boat Club.
A 20-minute loop walk around Taipari Strand, has views of mangroves and coastal bush.
Gloria Park provides access to a short bush walk in Springbank Esplanade.
Route of the walk
You can access the Harbourview Walk through these access points:
- Harbourview - Te Atatu Road and right at the Gloria Road roundabout, or Harbourview Drive via Te Atatu Road roundabout, Te Atatu Peninsula.
- Spinnaker Strand - Beach Road, Te Atatu Peninsula.
- Kelvin Strand - Kelvin Crescent via Gill Ave and Beach Road, Te Atatu Peninsula.
- Chapman Strand - Chapman Road via Te Atatu Road, Te Atatu Peninsula.
- Taipari Strand - Taikata Road, Te Atatu Peninsula.
- Gloria Park - Gloria Ave, Te Atatu Peninsula.