Skip to main content

Te Ture ā-Rohe Tauhokohoko, Whakahaerenga me te Tango Kiriata Tūmatanui 2022

Public Trading, Events and Filming Bylaw 2022

This bylaw helps people enjoy Auckland's public places. It includes rules about business, event and filming activities that require council approval.

What the Public Trading, Events and Filming Bylaw 2022 does

The bylaw:

  • applies to council-controlled public places
  • regulates trading, event and filming activities

requires most activities to either obtain an approval (licence or permit) or comply with conditions of use (exemptions apply). This includes:

  • markets, stalls and mobile shops
  • outdoor dining
  • production and sale of personal portraits
  • hire of micromobility devices and recreational equipment
  • fundraising for a charitable cause, soliciting of any subscription or collection of any one-off or on-going donations
  • distribution of promotional goods and materials (for example a tasting, sampling or giveaway)
  • street performance (for example busking and pavement art)
  • events (with restrictions)
  • filming (with restrictions).

What the Public Trading, Events and Filming Bylaw does not cover

The bylaw does not cover public trading, events or filming in public places that are part of the Auckland transport system (for example, most roads in Auckland). 

This is regulated by Auckland Transport's Activities in the Road Corridor Bylaw 2022 where similar rules apply.

Get a copy of the Public Trading, Events and Filming Bylaw 2022

 Related topics



Apply for a film permit for a film permitWho to contact to apply for a film permit in Auckland.aspxFilm permit
Promotions and displays and displaysIf you want to hand out promotional goods you will need a licence. Meet with us before you apply and view the guidelines for displaying goods on the footpath.aspxDistributing promotional goods licence
Event permits permitsCheck if you need an event permit and find out how to apply for one.aspxEvent permit
Street performance and busking performance and buskingYou need a licence to perform in a public place. Apply for a busking licence, apply to perform dangerous street acts, and view pavement art guidelines.aspxStreet trading and performance
Markets on public land on public landFind out how to apply for and renew a public market licence, how to change or transfer ownership of a public market licence, and rules for food stalls in a market.aspxStreet trading and performance Trading in parks
Mobile traders tradersFind out where you can trade, work out the costs of a mobile trading licence, apply for or transfer a mobile trading licence, or complain about a mobile trader or market.aspxMobile trading licence Trading in parks Street trading and performance