Hurstmere Road transformation in Takapuna
Te Panonitanga o Hurstmere Road, Takapuna
Hurstmere Road – looking south towards Lake Road from Hurstmere Green
About the Hurstmere Road transformation
By creating a safer, more spacious and attractive streetscape, the upgrade will ensure this growing and changing area continues to thrive for years to come.
Key project outcomes
The new design for Hurstmere Road will:
- revitalise the street to create a safer, more vibrant and attractive area for local businesses, residents and visitors alike
- reduce vehicle dominance and provide more space for outdoor dining and events
- make the road more accessible and improve the retail environment
- improve water quality as the rain gardens along the street will filter out pollutants that presently discharge directly into the sea at Takapuna Beach
- accommodate a growing community and increasing visitor numbers
- create a new 1.2m wide cycle lane as part of the roadway
- make Hurstmere Road between Anzac Street and Lake Road become one-way for north-bound traffic, with a 30km/h speed limit and a level surface - south-bound traffic will be redirected along Anzac Street and Lake Road
- create quality open space and improve connections to Takapuna's stunning beach
- improve facilities for pedestrians, making it easier to get around
- add new loading zones and mobility parking bays along the street
- install new energy-efficient lighting and new plantings of native trees.
Hurstmere Road – from Lake Road end looking north towards Anzac Street
What's happened so far
We asked you to have your say on the Hurstmere Road transformation in 2017.
We then developed preliminary and detailed designs, and applied for resource consent. A resource consent for the works was granted in August 2019.
In July 2019, Watercare took the opportunity to bring forward maintenance and repair works to their wastewater pipes located between 2 and 128 Hurstmere Road.
Following the construction tendering process over the next few months, we expect construction to start in the first quarter of 2020.
We will know the approximate length of the construction time following the tendering process.
See an overview of the project