How we’ll do this
We will complete the upgrade project in three stages.
A new tunneled pipeline will be installed from between Spode and Imperial Place, along Border Road to the Border Road Esplanade Reserve and Opanuku Stream.
- replace the existing bridge with a new pedestrian bridge between Spode and Imperial Place
- construct a new boardwalk connecting Taranui Place with Border Road Esplanade Reserve
- expose a section of the Waitaro Stream within Murillo Reserve to more daylight.
A low flow pipe will be installed from the new pipeline to the open-air section at Murillo Reserve to provide continued flow to the Lower Waitaro Stream.
The new North Harbour No.2 watermain across the Opanuku Stream will be constructed at the same time.
We’ll decommission the old pipeline under Corban Reserve and upgrade Corban Reserve.
We expect stage two to commence directly after stage one.
We will share more information once details are confirmed.
We'll upgrade the existing stormwater pipeline along a small section of Henderson Valley Road.
We will also upgrade a culvert crossing Henderson Valley Road.
Current project status
This project has begun construction.
How the works will affect you
To limit disruption to residents, we are using underground tunneling techniques for most of the installation.
Traffic detours, traffic management and pedestrian access
Temporary traffic management will be in place and traffic delays will be highly likely.
You will need to allow extra travel time and consider alternative routes wherever possible.
There will be minor detours in place in these areas during stage one of the works for safety reasons.
Minor detours include:
- changes to traffic lanes on Border Road to accommodate two construction sites at Border Road Esplanade and the intersection of Murillo Place and Border Road
- the Murillo Place intersection with Border Road - traffic into and out of Murillo Place will be reduced to one lane via temporary traffic lights. Pedestrian access through Murillo Reserve between Murillo Place and Coburg Street will be maintained at all times
- a section of the Twin Streams Shared Path will be closed between March 2022 and April 2023. There will be a detour through Taranui Place to Border Road via a new boardwalk and cycleway connection
- the pedestrian bridge between Spode Place and Imperial Place will be closed between late December 2022 and early June 2023 to enable naturalisation of the Upper Waitaro Stream. There will be a temporary diversion of the pedestrian traffic through Corban Reserve and Wally Nola Place while the bridge is upgraded
- while the pedestrian bridge is closed, Spode Place and Henderson Valley Road can be accessed through Hindmarsh Green and Corban Reserve from Hindmarsh Street, or through Wally Nola via Forest Hill Road
- Murillo Reserve will be partially closed between December 2022 and May 2023. When the works are completed the reserve will feature a new pedestrian bridge over the open-air section of the stream, park seating, play features, widened footpath system and boardwalks.
Construction-related noise and vibration is anticipated during the works.
We will monitor the works closely to ensure noise and vibration levels remain within acceptable limits.
After the works are completed
At the end of the works, Murillo and Border Road Esplanade reserves will be upgraded with new landscaping and paths.
We will continue to provide updates to directly affected residents before the works begin.
If you have questions or would like to subscribe to our newsletter, email corbanreserveHW@aucklandcouncil.govt.nz