What we are doing
We're installing a new, larger stormwater pipeline from Imperial Place to Border Road, Esplanade Reserve in Henderson.
The pipeline will help prevent flooding and improve water quality in Opanuku Stream.
The project will also include enhancing green recreation areas and public walkways.
How we'll do this
We will complete the upgrade project in three stages.
We'll install a new pipeline from Imperial Place to Border Road Esplanade Reserve.
We'll decommission the old pipeline under Corban Reserve.
We'll upgrade the existing stormwater pipeline along a small section of Henderson Valley Road.
Current project status
We are currently applying for resource consent for stage one.
Local residents have received information about proposed works.
When consent is granted, we will tender for a contractor.
The aim is to begin the works in late 2021.
What stage 1 involves
Stage 1 involves:
- installing a 2100mm diameter stormwater pipe from upper Waitaro Stream (between Spode Place and Imperial Place) across Henderson Valley Road and along Border Road to Opanuku Stream in the Border Road Esplanade Reserve
- building new stormwater inlet and outlet structures and incorporating native planting to improve stormwater flow and to allow fish to swim upstream
- upgrading the pedestrian bridge between Spode Place and Imperial Place
- restoring Waitaro Stream at Murillo Reserve by removing the pipe and upgrading the reserve including a new pedestrian bridge, new planting and pathways
- upgrading Border Road Esplanade Reserve with new planting and a new boardwalk and walkway connecting to Taranui Place
- working with Watercare to install the watermain across Opanuku Stream on Border Road to limit future disruption to commuters and residents.
How the works will affect you
We will use underground tunnelling techniques for most of the installation to limit disruption to residents.
We will put a traffic management plan in place during the works. However, there will still be temporary lane restrictions and detours around:
- Border Road
- Border Road Esplanade
- Murillo Place
- Murillo Reserve.
Areas that will remain open include:
- Corban Reserve
- Murillo Reserve
- the twin Streams shared path in Border Road Esplanade Reserve
There will be minor detours in place in these areas for safety.
You can also expect some noise and vibration. We will monitor this to ensure it doesn't exceed set limits.
We will continue to provide updates to directly affected residents before the works begin.