Skip to main content
COVID-19 information For all COVID-19 information, visit the Unite against COVID-19 website at
Visit OurAuckland to learn about Auckland Council's response to COVID-19
Get the latest information about council services and closures - Learn moreCOVID-19 information
Auckland Council

Change the use of your property from residential to commercial

Panoni i te whakamahi i ō rawa mai i te kāinga noho ki te wāhi tauhokohoko

What you need to do to change the use of your property

To change the use of your property from residential to commercial, you need to:

  • speak to a planner to find out if you can do this
  • apply for a resource consent.

If your application is successful

  • We will give you written confirmation that you have complied with the requirements of the Building Act.
  • We will update the information we hold for your property in our Rating Information Database (RID).

How to request a change in the use of your property in the RID

If we have approved a change in the use of property, but have not updated the RID to reflect the change, you will need to object to the RID.

Once we receive your RID objection, detailing the information you believe is incorrect, we will check the information we currently hold for your property and update it as necessary.

We will let you know the outcome in writing.

A RID objection can take up to 12 weeks to process.

 Related topics