Skip to main content
COVID-19 Alert Level 2 Most of our services have resumed. Some restrictions remain. Visitors to our buildings should check in using the NZ COVID Tracer app or register manually.
For the current status of council services and closures - Learn moreCOVID-19 Alert Level 2
Water restrictions in Auckland More Water restrictions are in effect across the Auckland region. Learn moreWater restrictions in Auckland

He aha kē tēnei mea te whakaaetanga, ka mutu, he aha te take me whiwhi ahau i tētahi?

What is a consent and do I need one?

What is a resource consent?

A resource consent is written approval from us to carry out a project that has an impact on the environment, or could affect other people.

A resource consent may come with conditions that help manage the effects of your project.

For example, if you remove trees or vegetation to build your house, you may have a resource consent condition that requires you to plant some native trees after building is finished.

When you need to apply for a resource consent

Examples of situations where you may need to apply for a resource consent are:

  • building a house
  • developing or subdividing land
  • retail, commercial or industrial activities
  • earthworks
  • taking or damming of water
  • discharging contaminants into water, soil or air
  • using or occupying coastal space.

What is a building consent?

A building consent is written approval from us to carry out specific building work on a specific site, which must comply with current regulations. It ensures that the proposed work is safe, durable and doesn’t endanger the health and safety of anyone using the building.

A building consent is granted if we are satisfied on reasonable grounds that the building code provisions would be met if the work is properly completed in accordance with the plans and specifications in the application.

Building work that is considered low risk may not need consent under the Building Act. See the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) website for information on building work that does not require a building consent.

For building work that does need a consent, but that is minor and low risk, we can consider it for exemption from needing a building consent.

You should know

All building work in New Zealand must comply with the Building Code, and many projects will need a building consent.

Building consents cannot be issued after the work is completed. You have to apply for a Certificate of Acceptance in these circumstances.

You may get an infringement notice for carrying out building work without a building consent, even if you get a Certificate of Acceptance.

​How to check if you need a consent

There are several ways you can check if you need a consent.


There are legislative changes pending on building consents for; sleepouts, awnings, carports, solar panels, porches, verandas, pizza ovens and other outdoor fireplaces. For more information, see the MBIE website.

 Related topics



Building and renovation projects and renovation projectsGuides to help you find out if you need a consent for your project, including; decks, fences, garages, sheds, gazebos, pools, re-clad work, heating, sleepouts, home renovations, water tanks and more.aspx
Advice before you start before you startIf you are unsure about what you need to know or do before you apply for a building or resource consent, get in touch with us. We're here to help.aspx
What can I do in my zone? can I do in my zone?Find out how to check your property zone and the different activities allowed in your zone. Includes information on different housing zones.aspx
Resource consent fees and deposits (plus Notice of Requirement and Private Plan Change) consent fees and deposits (plus Notice of Requirement and Private Plan Change)Find out how much it will cost to apply for a resource consent application.aspx
Building consent fees and charges consent fees and chargesView fees and charges when applying for a building consent.aspx
Restricted building work that needs to be done by a professional building work that needs to be done by a professionalCheck if the work you want done needs to be done by a building professional. aspx