Skip to main content

Ētahi whakarerekētanga mahi iti kōrere wai

Minor plumbing alterations

When you may need a consent for minor plumbing alterations

You may need a building consent if you are making alterations to your existing bathroom or laundry, such as adding a:

  • bathtub
  • toilet
  • laundry fixture
  • shower vanity.

You will also need to apply for a building consent if the work involves either:

  • adding an extra sanitary fixture to your house where there was not one previously
  • replacing a fixture that requires a larger plumbing outlet.

You may also need a consent for a gully trap for a new bathroom or laundry.

Terraced housing, apartment units and tiled floor finishing

If the alterations are being made in terraced housing, apartment units or areas with tiled floor finishing then you may need a consent, see Apply for a project information memorandum or building consent.

When you do not need consent

You are unlikely to need a building consent for plumbing and drainage work involving the repair or replacement of an existing sanitary fixture, such as a sink or toilet pan.

However, you need to seek advice and do your research before undertaking any work.

More information on work that is exempt under Schedule 1 of the Building Act 2004 is available on the MBIE Building Performance website.

Work by an authorised person

You must make sure the plumber or drainlayer you are using for your building work has current authorisation from the Plumbers, Gasfitters, and Drainlayers Board.

You will still need to apply for consent even if an authorised person completes the work.

The term "authorised person" covers:

  • registered certifying plumbers and drainlayers
  • plumbers and drainlayers with a provisional licence working under supervision
  • trainee plumbers and drainlayers working under supervision.

Before you apply

We recommend that the supplier or installer of the appliance completes and submits the application on your behalf.

You will need to supply a letter authorising the installer to act on your behalf with the application.

After your device has been installed, your installer will also need to provide a completed producer statement construction (PS3) plumbing document.

​The installer must be listed on our producer statement authors register for the discounted fee to apply.

Minor plumbing alterations consent fee

You should know

Once work is completed you will need to apply for a Code Compliance Certificate (CCC). All CCC applications, including fixed fee consents, will be subject to additional charges for processing (excludes subsidised applications).
Read fee table.
Minor plumbing with a producer statement where value of work is less than $5000 - Fixed fee (non-refundable, no additional charges)$343
Minor plumbing work completed by someone who is not an approved installer and where work value is less than $5000 - Fixed fee (non-refundable, no additional charges)

​​$343 (fixed fee) and one inspection deposit fee of $195

​How to apply for a consent for minor plumbing alterations

Apply online

Make sure you upload the completed Lodgement checklist: Residential and Agreement to provide producer statement during construction documents with your application.

You will need to login to complete the online application and pay by Visa, MasterCard, Online EFTPOS or Account2Account (bank transfer).

 Apply now

If you are unable to apply online

If you are unable to complete an online application, you can visit one of our libraries with council services for help with this.

Call us on 09 301 0101 to speak with our building and planning help desk if you have questions regarding your application.

What happens next

We will process your application within 20 working days.

We will let you know the decision by email and through myAUCKLAND.

 Related topics



Apply for a building consent for a building consentFind out how to apply for a building consent and view the relevant fees. aspxBuilding consents
Building consent fees and charges consent fees and chargesView fees and charges when applying for a building consent.aspxBuilding consents
Kitchen and bathroom home renovations and bathroom home renovationsCheck whether you need a building consent for your kitchen or bathroom renovations.aspxBuilding and consents
Building inspections inspectionsFind out who carries out inspections, who should be present at the inspections and when to book. aspxInspections
Altering an existing building an existing buildingWhat to do if you intend to alter your existing building.aspxBuilding consents